Johnson rifles

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Johnnyreb

Johnson rifles

Post by Johnnyreb »

The other day I happened to watch a youtube vid about Johnson, and his Johnson rifles and LMG. He made a carbine version of the rifle that was lighter to carry and looked great. But the war ended and the funding went away so only 5 or so got made.

A some point after the war, he took the M1 carbine and converted it to fire a necked 5.7 (.223) round that was a lot better than the .30 carbine round. And it used the same mags. But again, no funding so it died. It was called the Spitfire.

Well that got me wondering, since I don't have an M1 carbine or any M1 mags. How close was Johnson's round to the 5.56? Can you load an M1 carbine mag with 5.56 rounds?

I'm thinking the answer is no, they won't fit and the Johnson round was probably a shorter case. But then, if there were something like an M1 carbine that shot 5.56, would people buy it?
Langenator

Re: Johnson rifles

Post by Langenator »

.30 carbine is a good bit shorter than .223/5.56.

Given current ammo prices, I'd rather go the other way - I'd love an AR that could fire .30 carbine.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

I would like a PMAG version for the M1 Carbine magazine if we are wishing.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

This was a tremendous marketing opportunity miss. If he had called them the Big Johnson rifle the Army would have bought them for sure.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

.30 carbine ammo is spendy last few times I've looked.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

The RoK surplus stuff was just under $400 for a 1,080 round (on stripper clips) can (including .50 cal ammo can) last time I bought some. That may have been a higher per round price than .223 before COVID and BLM-Antifa riots, but it's only gone up maybe $20 a can since late March.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Johnnyreb wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:16 am But then, if there were something like an M1 carbine that shot 5.56, would people buy it?
A little bit different design, but isn't that basically a Mini-14?
randy

Post by randy »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:45 pm
Johnnyreb wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:16 am But then, if there were something like an M1 carbine that shot 5.56, would people buy it?
A little bit different design, but isn't that basically a Mini-14?
That would be my take.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".