Practical use of battle rifles

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
scipioafricanus

Re: Practical use of battle rifles

Post by scipioafricanus »

5.56 works simply for fire time on target. Most of the time baddie only shows himself for a fraction on time. If you try that with a 308 and miss (sight picture, BANG, reacquire sight picture after recoil, baddie gone). 5.56 is easier to walk in your target (sight picture, bang bang bang, baddie down before he is gone).

Now if you wanna chew through a wall, 308 all day.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:02 pm Honestly 300blk renders PCCs/SMGs obsolete for the most part.
Body armor renders them useless, but it does that to 300blk too (and 7.62x39 beyond close quarters range). That is what brought out the 5.7 FN and similar PDW rounds.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:49 pm My completely unqualified flight deck squid opinion...

If upgrading 5.56 platform to a 6.5 is off the table then probably stick with 5.56 for reasons stated about (covering fire, qty of rounds carried etc).
Get more convenient personal explosives capability and indirect fire capability into the hands of the average grunts. Why shoot them when you can blow them up from cover?
I remember Vanderboegh doing a post on Mosin M38s and rifle grenades (basically fit out your militia members who aren't sharpshooters as "M38 grenadiers").
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Mosins would require an adapter to launch grenades. Any AR with an A2 birdcage can launch NATO standard grenades (as can FALs, G3s, etc, with STANAG muzzle devices)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Right, but apparently the adapters aren't hard to do. Vanderboegh wrote his post when M38s were south of $100 -- I think that was part of the calculus.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Precision

Post by Precision »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:36 pm Right, but apparently the adapters aren't hard to do. Vanderboegh wrote his post when M38s were south of $100 -- I think that was part of the calculus.
You mean the good old days. lol
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Precision wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:08 pmYou mean the good old days. lol
Heh. Yeah. Who knew?