Appleseed!

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

Appleseed!

Post by Rich Jordan »

Finally going to make an Appleseed two day event in April here in ill-annoy. Got the time off, day before and after off, a couple of weekdays off to get out to an outdoor range to practice and sight-in the centerfire (since that's a minimum ~ 2 hour drive these days, and the range is always always swamped on weekends with better than crap weather). Since its a two day event, the second day will be longer ranges to 300 yards (or I'm told a chance to try patching again at 25M if you failed on the first day).

They only allow up to .223 so I can't take the Garand I had been considering for the long ranges since its what I shot the service rifle clinics with decades ago, but an AR15 will also be scoped and my eyes aren't what they used to be... Based on strong suggestions from folks who have gone before I'm taking a 10/22 for the 25M shooting since I don't have a .22LR AR and not going to try and get one put together right away.

My stock barreled 1981 vintage 10/22 but with tech sights, a Reinhart Fajen fiberglass stock, and a Magpul RLS loop sling (which I may change for a GI web sling, still testing). I've been testing different ammo in it to see what it likes best; so far that is the 1990s Wolf Match Target ammo (made in Germany) which I fortunately still have about 1700 rounds of.

I pulled out my old service rifle competition guides and am starting to practice position, sling, NPOA. From what I've read you can use the sling when standing at Appleseed, unlike service rifle. I think you use it as a hasty sling, instead of loop.

Not sure yet what rifle to use on the .223 side. I've fired each of them on maybe two-three occasions over many years due to the outdoor range access issues. The indoor range I can get to readily only goes out to 75 yards, and all my .223s are currently sighted in at 50 yards (the previous indoor range max); I haven't made it to an outside range in quite a while. The one or two times I hope to be able to will be all my 100 yard (or longer) sight in, and its bench only so I can't practice positions. And I'll need to test different ammo on the .223 as well but may do most of that at the 75 yard indoor range.

This is going to be fun. Probably humbling, but fun.
Weetabix

Re: Appleseed!

Post by Weetabix »

Rich Jordan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:41 am Finally going to make an Appleseed two day event in April here in ill-annoy. Got the time off, day before and after off, a couple of weekdays off to get out to an outdoor range to practice and sight-in the centerfire (since that's a minimum ~ 2 hour drive these days, and the range is always always swamped on weekends with better than crap weather).
Excellent! I hope you do well. I patched on my second Appleseed. Just missed it on the first.
My stock barreled 1981 vintage 10/22 but with tech sights, a Reinhart Fajen fiberglass stock, and a Magpul RLS loop sling (which I may change for a GI web sling, still testing). I've been testing different ammo in it to see what it likes best; so far that is the 1990s Wolf Match Target ammo (made in Germany) which I fortunately still have about 1700 rounds of.
I shot with an old 10/22 with tech sights for the first one. Old eyes, here, too. I couldn't really see the targets. Scope for the second, and I could see.

I shot my Appleseeds with GI slings, but I really like the RLS. I haven't tried the same course of fire with the RLS, though. You don't mention a quick release for the magazine. If you don't have one of those, I'd recommend it.
I pulled out my old service rifle competition guides and am starting to practice position, sling, NPOA. From what I've read you can use the sling when standing at Appleseed, unlike service rifle. I think you use it as a hasty sling, instead of loop.
You're correct - hasty sling. While you're practicing positions and NPOA, I'd recommend some dry fire as well.
Correct on both! :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Rich Jordan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:41 am Finally going to make an Appleseed two day event in April here in ill-annoy. Got the time off, day before and after off, a couple of weekdays off to get out to an outdoor range to practice and sight-in the centerfire (since that's a minimum ~ 2 hour drive these days, and the range is always always swamped on weekends with better than crap weather). Since its a two day event, the second day will be longer ranges to 300 yards (or I'm told a chance to try patching again at 25M if you failed on the first day).

They only allow up to .223 so I can't take the Garand I had been considering for the long ranges since its what I shot the service rifle clinics with decades ago, but an AR15 will also be scoped and my eyes aren't what they used to be... Based on strong suggestions from folks who have gone before I'm taking a 10/22 for the 25M shooting since I don't have a .22LR AR and not going to try and get one put together right away.

Not sure yet what rifle to use on the .223 side. I've fired each of them on maybe two-three occasions over many years due to the outdoor range access issues. The indoor range I can get to readily only goes out to 75 yards, and all my .223s are currently sighted in at 50 yards (the previous indoor range max); I haven't made it to an outside range in quite a while. The one or two times I hope to be able to will be all my 100 yard (or longer) sight in, and its bench only so I can't practice positions. And I'll need to test different ammo on the .223 as well but may do most of that at the 75 yard indoor range.

Where did you sign up to take it?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Scipioafricanus
Signup and event locator here
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Weetabix
I sent a note to inquire about day 2 patching if I fail on day 1 but waiting response. The events can vary _somewhat_ based on the range and the instructors. I can put a scope on the 10/22 but would like to patch with iron sights if possible because I want to keep using my M1 and eventual M14-alikes with irons still. At least outdoors it will hopefully be bright enough.

There are a couple of optometrist shops that cater to shooters even here in ill annoy but they are a long drive away. I may have to consider that to get glasses that really work for the purpose; I asked at Pearl Vision (not about bringing in a gun, just about the concept of shooting glasses) and they got scary. Not scared, scary; I was scared!

Hoping to go to a different range with better lighting this weekend, focus on just the chosen ammo with real Appleseed redcoat practice targets.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My glasses were woefully out of date both times I went. I had an optometrist visit this week. I'm going to be looking into prescription shooting glasses, too.

I wanted to patch with irons, but I just couldn't see the targets through them well enough, so I did it on the next round (not day) with a scope. I have astigmatism - not sure if that plays into it.

Good luck at the range!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D