450 Bushmaster or 458 Socom

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
blackeagle603

450 Bushmaster or 458 Socom

Post by blackeagle603 »

Been a while since pondering this choice. Resurrecting this now that I see uppers for the 450 Bushmaster not only in stock at Midway but coming well down into the $4xx range. Last I looked it was a $600+ proposition
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Re: 450 Bushmaster or 458 Socom

Post by Weetabix »

What do you want to do with it?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

OK, this sounds interesting. First off, I have never fired either the .450 Bushmaster or the .458 SOCOM. But, I do love anything in .45 caliber and, having just re-acquired an AR-15 after many years after an old navy buddy gave me his truck gun (he's buying a new one) I now have a platform that I can work with.

Just looking at the cost, I'd lean towards the .450 Bushmaster. Ammo is less expensive. Uppers are less expensive. Bear Creek Armory has .450 bushmaster uppers on sale between $220.00 - $289.00. The upper comes ready to shoot out of the box including BCG and they guarantee one MOA on 16" or longer barrels and the video review I watched seemed to back that up (shot at 100 yards, .75 inch group). Average price per round that I have found is just over $1.00 - $1.50 a round for the .450, and $1.65 - $3.00 for the .458.

I haven't looked up any of the ballistics yet, but since I can't really see past 200 yards, I'm not going to worry about it at this time. I am very interested in what you decide to go with as it may color my decision to invest in one of these uppers. I really don't care for the 5.56mm round and I will probably change out the caliber at some point

Bear Creek Armory

You Tube review in 3 parts
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Thinking about a hog hammer for our relatively open spaces in CA and the SW. Really like to have at least a 200yd piece.

The 458 Socom has an especially visceral appeal to me. Beastly sized slugs. Serious thumper capability.
It headspaces off the shoulder too so that's nice when shooting reloading and shooting heavy thumper rounds.

The Bushmaster range can be extended out a bit further than the Socom -- maybe 50 yds more effective for an equivalent slug.
The straightwall 450 Bushmaster can't be roll crimped and that sort of put me off initially -- but there's taper crimp dies available so that's probably moot concern.

Some minor appeal in the Bushmaster having a parent case that can be procured if brass supply is tight. The Socom is a one-off case.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I would go for the Socom as there will be more bullets in .458 that are well constructed compared to those for a .452 bore.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, that's a concern and advantage to the Socom.
I like the range especially to the heavy end that are available in 458

Thoughh the Hornady FTX is (should be) pretty serviceable in .452.

Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:20 am I would go for the Socom as there will be more bullets in .458 that are well constructed compared to those for a .452 bore.
yeah, what he said.

I got some from SBR ammunition that were holy shit awesome on hogs. I blew a leg clean off on a 70-80# hog. A buddy poorly hit a slightly larger hog (gut shot). I had to go in and finish it off. Being an asshole, I decided to see what the vaunted thick skull of the hog would do with the 300 gr Barnes at 1800 fps (IIRC). Not a damn thing. 3/4 inch entrance hole. Not quite so small on the exit side and no more piggy squeals after that.

With the 250 gr pellet, it is an easy 150 -175 yard gun depending on your zero
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

The SOCOM is better in almost every way. Most .452 bullets are designed for pistol velocity so finding good bullets for the 450 is hard.

The only reason for the 450 Bushmaster to even exist is 2 or 3 midwest states that allow straightwall wall cartridges during dear/shotgun season.

With either you are going to reload, but I have at least seen factory SOCOM ammo in the stores, never seen the 450.
Precision

Post by Precision »

NVGdude wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:50 am The SOCOM is better in almost every way. Most .452 bullets are designed for pistol velocity so finding good bullets for the 450 is hard.

The only reason for the 450 Bushmaster to even exist is 2 or 3 midwest states that allow straightwall wall cartridges during dear/shotgun season.

With either you are going to reload, but I have at least seen factory SOCOM ammo in the stores, never seen the 450.
When I was a counter monkey at a retail gun store we had 450 bushmaster ammo. Two boxes and they were there for 10+ years. NO takers
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I recently purchased a .458 upper for $200 ish on midway USA. I like it because the bullet selection is larger when you reload. It's a great thumper and I can't wait to take it on a hunt. I didn't even look twice at the .450
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.