Handgun vs bear

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Handgun vs bear

Post by Combat Controller »

Here's a very interesting piece with all the data included. It has a surprising result.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/handgu ... z5xBSsHG5i
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Vonz90

Re: Handgun vs bear

Post by Vonz90 »

Rule 1, bring a gun

...Bringing a .22 pistol into polar bear country is the exception that proves* the rule.

* AKA tests
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Which is why I carry ever time I go on any trail or area in Alaska where I may run into a bear (aka outside) 😆
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I still say a ruger redhawk alaskan in 480 ruger loaded with heavyweight hardcast is about the ideal handgun for brownies.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

They are skewing the numbers in favor of “success” by defining it as “the bear stopped attacking” rather than as “the bear was stopped from attacking.” Also notable that most or all of what they are calling failures were use of marginal calibers on brown or polar bears. As is usually the case with black bears, hit them reasonably well with almost anything, and they will look elsewhere for an easier meal.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:24 pm They are skewing the numbers in favor of “success” by defining it as “the bear stopped attacking” rather than as “the bear was stopped from attacking.” Also notable that most or all of what they are calling failures were use of marginal calibers on brown or polar bears. As is usually the case with black bears, hit them reasonably well with almost anything, and they will look elsewhere for an easier meal.
Unless a black bear has a reason to be motivated, you don't even have to hit it you just have to make some noise.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:20 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:24 pm They are skewing the numbers in favor of “success” by defining it as “the bear stopped attacking” rather than as “the bear was stopped from attacking.” Also notable that most or all of what they are calling failures were use of marginal calibers on brown or polar bears. As is usually the case with black bears, hit them reasonably well with almost anything, and they will look elsewhere for an easier meal.
Unless a black bear has a reason to be motivated, you don't even have to hit it you just have to make some noise.
Black bears kill more people than brown ones.
randy

Post by randy »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:22 pmBlack bears kill more people than brown ones.
I wonder if that's because a lot of areas with black bears are not in what most think of as Bear Country. So people are not as aware of any threat and are not as prepared to react properly. (and by people, I mean the usual clueless citizenry, not anyone on this board).

Out west I often saw bear spray, bells etc. on sale (even in National Parks stores) and tourist information on how to deal with a bear encounter.

Down south a state where there have been black bear attacks in the recent past (last few years), not so much.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:22 pm
Greg wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:20 pm
Black bears kill more people than brown ones.
Doesn't surprise me at all, considering what I saw in Jersey.

Range of black bears has expanded *tremendously* such that bears are now in areas that they've never been in before so long as there have been white people keeping records.

So there are going to be more encounters than ever before.

Combine that with human stupidity, actively encouraging bears to feel less timid and more 'entitled', and the chances of running into a motivated bear go way up.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:38 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:22 pmBlack bears kill more people than brown ones.
I wonder if that's because a lot of areas with black bears are not in what most think of as Bear Country. So people are not as aware of any threat and are not as prepared to react properly. (and by people, I mean the usual clueless citizenry, not anyone on this board).

Out west I often saw bear spray, bells etc. on sale (even in National Parks stores) and tourist information on how to deal with a bear encounter.

Down south a state where there have been black bear attacks in the recent past (last few years), not so much.
Black bears are exclusively carnivorous in some places. Between that and the fact that they their range overlaps with people a lot more than brown bears I think account for the difference.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article ... 011/05/11/