Handgun vs bear

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Re: Handgun vs bear

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:12 pmRange of black bears has expanded *tremendously* such that bears are now in areas that they've never been in before so long as there have been white people keeping records.
A buddy of mine is a fdny firemarshall, and he just bought a glock 20 for hiking up in north jersey and the poconos for bears.

I told him to be more concerned about mountain lions, which are almost certainly up in NEPA and are almost certainly more dangerous to encounter.

I suggested he use Underwood 180grain bonded.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Re: Handgun vs bear

Post by Vonz90 »

I have ecountered cougarsa couple of times. Once while rabbit hunting, it ran when it saw me, but I had my 12 gauge so I was not too worried.

The other time I was fishing about knee deep in a stream and it strolled by on the bank between me and a corn field. This was before shall issue in MO so I had nothing more dangerous than a treble hook. Fortunately it did not seem to notice me, but I waited a bit and went back to the car. Started carrying at least pepper spray while fishing after that.