What DID I get for CC?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

What New CC Pistol should Vonz get?

Walther P99C in 40
11%
M&P Shield 40
11%
Walther PPS M2 9mm
11%
Sig P365
No votes
Glock single stack something
No votes
Springfield XD sub-compact
11%
Other/Magic Brownies
56%

Total votes: 9

Greg

Re: What should I get for CC?

Post by Greg »

Out of that list I voted P365.

Sure Glock19 is the Chevy of handguns, but it's bigger than every single choice on the list. Suspect that should tell you something.

Definitely smaller and lighter than 'compact service pistol' class (Glock 19, Sig P229, etc). Could even be borderline pocketable, while generally avoiding the drawbacks of pocket pistols. I'm tempted to get one for myself.

I find myself pocket carrying in so-called soft NPE situations a lot. But I have big pockets. Seems to me carrying in a small pouch could be considered similar.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Why ask us? Ask CC himself. ;)
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
g-man

Post by g-man »

I have been carrying my Kimber Ultra Carry II appendix in a Tier1 Axis slim since we escaped CA. I need to put on a regular set of grips instead of the finger-grooved Hogue rubber grips it’s currently wearing, because I can either drop it down a hole on the clips and not get a positive grip before drawing, or move it up and get the grip, but have it limit shirt choices. And then I went and pawed an M&P Shield .40. Damn. Same (or higher) round count, smaller package, lower bore axis relative to the grip... and unlike the XD-s (which I want to like, but HATE the feeling of), it just feels right in the hand.

Shit. WANT. Enough to sell the Bodyguard .380 and cough up the spare coin for the Shield.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

A while back, I took a KelTec PF9, an M&P Shield 9, and Kahr PM9 to the range to make this decision. The PF9 did the best for me, so that's what I carry.

I really like the CZ 75D PCR and P-01 to shoot, but the PCR carried IWB was putting holes in my jeans, so I went back to the PF9. I've had the PF9 for years with nary a malfunction. Actually, none from the PCR, either.

Of your list, I voted for the XD. I have a full size version. I don't like the way it fits my hand as well as the PCR, but dang that thing puts holes where I point it.

If you ever get to my part of the state, I'd be happy to let you shoot anything I have. I'll pick up range fees and provide the ammo.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I voted Glock because Chevy as noted above. Of the choices in the poll I've shot only Glock and Sig (and the Sig was a P226, if memory serves). Liked the fit/feel of both.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I was going to suggest a krinked Saiga 12, but Greg doesn't live in the keystone state with their interesting definition of "firearms". :ugeek: :twisted: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I really want the new XD in 10mm...

Oh, it's not a gift! I like my 340 still, I have noodled around with the Diamondback in 9mm, the Kimber solo in 9mm but the .357 is just light and reliable and powerful enough for the job. Living in FL now I often go for pocket carry.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Vonz90

Re: What DID I get for CC?

Post by Vonz90 »

Walther P99c in 40 S&W
- this was kind of a change from where I thought I would end up, but I saw it new on sale for under $300 and liked it a lot.

1. Fits my hand very well (with pinky extender). Same class as like a G27, but those do not feel right to me
2. Love the trigger. Striker fired but can be used like a DA/SA. Much better than my LC9 for sure.
3. Walther is switching to the PPQ as their main platform here (basically same pistol with a few changes) so on sale by a lot; and like bargains. (Actually, putting a PPQ slide on a P99 seems to be a thing too, according to the interwebs.)
4. I have been leaning 40, but not sold on the other platforms I have looked at for that. This gives me 8 rounds (1 more than my LC9) and still fits in my pouch holster). It takes the full sized magazines too so I will probably get a 12 rounder for my spare, plus one in the pipe gives 21 vs 15 now)
5. It is very light for its size, almost the same as the LC9 within an ounce or so.
6. As a hedge, if I do not like it as a CC piece, with the full sized magazines and a grip extender, it is basically a slightly shorter full sized P99 and I could use it that way as a bedside pistol (which I also plan on upgrading)
7. Alternatively, if I do like it, I could get the full sized version for my bedside pistol and have some interchangeability.
8. I like the paddle mag release.
9. It is kind of a quirky choice, and that fits me conceptually.

So I have it since yesterday. Hope to shoot it next week sometime. Range report to follow.

Edited since I see I put the name in the poll but not the post and that is confusing...
Last edited by Vonz90 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Had to read that twice and I’m still not 100% sure what you got. P99 compact in .40?
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Precision

Post by Precision »

New gun. Is good.
Hope it works well for you at the range although I don't see much likelihood of it not.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/