Subcompact 9mm Pistols...

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

Subcompact 9mm Pistols...

Post by Vonz90 »

...or maybe a 40.

My carry piece for how ever many years has been one of the original style Ruger LC9s (with a hammer and chamber indicator) and I am thinking it is time to consider an upgrade. I like the size and reliability of the LC9 but would rather have a more rounds (or maybe similar number of 40 rounds) and the trigger just sucks.

I was leaning towards a Sig 365, but they have some unresolved spring issues (at least unresolved as far as I can determine).

Anything else out there I should put on my list to check out?
Netpackrat

Re: Subcompact 9mm Pistols...

Post by Netpackrat »

Gen 5 Glock 19 or 26. Hold out for the Gen 5, don't settle for the earlier guns because you won't be getting the same thing.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Darlin' daughter is very happy with her Gen 4 Glock 26 as a carry piece.

The 26 is too small for me (I carry a G17 and before that a Browning Hi Power), and I don't know that I would care about the differences between the Gen 4 and 5 if I found a earlier model for a good price (which is what happened with Darlin' daughter, discount on the Gen 4 to make room for incoming Gen 5). Worth a look IMHO.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Lots of subtle changes in the Gen 5 that make the whole effect greater than you would expect just from listing the new features. It's what the Gen 4 should have been.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I picked up a Sig P365 2 weeks ago after handling several and shooting one once at an indoor range. I just shot mine for the first time Friday. I did a lot of reading and viewing on the problems before buying it.

Reportedly the two main issues, which is striker tip breaking off and a trigger spring breaking, have been resolved as of early fall production (I think September? Not sure). I can say mine (made November 2018) had a good 140 round day today; I shot WWB 115gr and an assortment of defensive rounds (HST, Speer Gold Dot, IMI DiCut, etc). Most of them showed the 'primer scrape' where the striker tip gets dragged across the primer as the barrel drops out of battery. The +P rounds (124gr HST) showed a little bit of impression from the slide face on the case head but functioned fine.

I had two soft strike failures to fire, both with the same magazine, at around shot 7 and again at 21, one with WWB, one with IMI. They did not repeat and the last 40 rounds were WWB again, no issues May have just been break-in issues. Both rounds were dimpled and fired when rechambered.

The cheap WWB 115gr ammo was the most accurate.. everything she seemed to shoot low and spread a bit more.

Hopefully getting to the range again next weekend, and put a couple hundred more rounds through it.

Make sure of your hand fit. With the flush magazine my ring finger gets almost no purchase. The magazine (included) with the extended base plate is definitely easier to shoot. I assume the 12 round extended ones would be even better, though they'll have an impact on concealability.

I don't have much to say about Glocks. I can shoot them but they don't fit my hand comfortably, especially the more compact double stacks. The P365 felt better in my hand than the Glock 43 did, but I never shot one.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Is the P365 pocketable? In terms of size or weight....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

I was very meh on the 365, but I am wrong as EVERYONE loves it.

For my money- although I won't likely buy a compact 9mm, would be the Walther CCP. Very low felt recoil, very ergonomic, plenty of bullets and in my hand quite accurate. Perhaps a bit large for the desired goal.

The GF has a Glock 43 that is adequate. My old Keltec PF-9 is crap but it works. When I don't have the option of running a fullsize, I run a mouse gun .380 as it completely disappears. The compact 9's do not on my frame the way I like to carry a mouse gun.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm very comfortable pocket carrying the LCP2. It really disappears.

I had a very interesting conversation recently where someone tried to impress on me the fundamental importance of free people taking responsibility for themselves and their own safety, and that I should carry wherever possible. I agreed - and didn't mention I was carrying at the time (we were in a 'carrying frowned upon' location).

But with the pants I wear, I'm wondering if I can pocket carry somewhat more gun. These days I wear Duluth Trading flex fire hose cargo/work pants most of the time.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I don't have experience with Duluth pants, or their pockets. I mostly wear carefully collected Blackhawk TNT pants (which are not visibly 'cargo/tactical'). They handle a KelTec P-32 just fine in a small inner watch pocket of the right front pocket; the EDC flashlight also carried in the main pocket completely breaks up any outline.

I've tried the P365 just around the house. It prints very clearly in my relaxed fit jeans. It prints somewhat in the TNTs, and the pocket is not quite deep enough to keep the grip from being visible if the pocket opening gaps when sitting; the small inner pocket cants the pistol forward too much so it can only be in the main pocket. In a cheap universal but correct sized leather pocket holster, it looks like I'm carrying a wallet or small book in the pocket. I think if the pocket was a bit deeper and the fit a little more relaxed, it would work.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Greg wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:27 pm I'm very comfortable pocket carrying the LCP2. It really disappears.

<SNIP>

But with the pants I wear, I'm wondering if I can pocket carry somewhat more gun. These days I wear Duluth Trading flex fire hose cargo/work pants most of the time.
Greg, are these the pants you wear, or something a little different (if so, which color seems to hide your gun better)?

POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad