Henry .410 lever action shotguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

Henry .410 lever action shotguns

Post by Rich Jordan »

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Henry .410 gauge lever shotguns being used as prizes at Friends of the NRA dinners?
Netpackrat

Re: Henry .410 lever action shotguns

Post by Netpackrat »

Friend of mine won one of them but I don't think he has used it yet.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Didn't Winchester try the same idea with the 94, and it was a commercial flop?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Don't know but in a couple of weeks I'll have one in hand (FNRA prize). My weekends have been eaten by the Jeep problems so I couldn't start the paperwork yet.

Oh God, yet another caliber to stock...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Seems like it could be fun for trick shooting things like ritz crackers, if you use cylinder bore and dust shot... :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

I have a Marlin one. Great squirrel/rabbit gun. Not sure what else they are for.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

That seems to be the consensus online. Squirrel/rabbit/snake gun. Could be useful home defense (with 000 buck or specialty loads like the Winchester PDX) in an area where a lever gun is more 'acceptable' than a semiautomatic. You can get rifled slugs to potentially increase the accurate range past 30-40 yards but the slug weight is 1/5 - 1/4 ounce on the ones I saw (87.5 grains 115gr) which seems excessively light compared to the .45LC bullets some double-use guns can handle, but maybe thats all the pressure specs can allow with the 2.5" shells. If it was the 24" version with interchangeable chokes it would be more versatile.

I'm considering asking the shop to consign it instead. If I lived somewhere where I could take it out and just have fun with it (like using very fine shot and pinging coins or crackers out of the air) it would be different but around here its just a few formal indoor or outdoor ranges. Such antics would be frowned upon.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Maybe for deer in a slug only state?
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Alas, I do not hunt (though I'm a fan and supporter of same). And if I did I already have a 12 gauge pump.