.300 Blackout in AK KB!

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Cybrludite

.300 Blackout in AK KB!

Post by Cybrludite »

"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
HTRN

Re: .300 Blackout in AK KB!

Post by HTRN »

Im amazed that keltec hasnt offered it yet, but considering the cant even meet production goals on existing models...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I think they just stop production after making about a dozen or so of each model, half of which go to Oleg Volk for props.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

For a truly accurate comparison of the strength of the AR vs AK design, someone needs to try a 300 Blk in a 5.56 AK (this one was 7.62x39.

For science. So bring a high speed camera, so I can watch the HD video in super slo-mo.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Langenator wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am For a truly accurate comparison of the strength of the AR vs AK design, someone needs to try a 300 Blk in a 5.56 AK (this one was 7.62x39.

For science. So bring a high speed camera, so I can watch the HD video in super slo-mo.
Most of the time if you put 300blk into a 5.56 chamber, the rifle won't go into battery. The .30 cal bullet hits the neck or the throat, and the action won't quite close. That's for MOST loads though, some will definitely chamber. Not sure if it has been done in a 5.56 AK but it's definitely been done in an AR:

It is my understanding that the rifle didn't survive this, although the shooter was uninjured.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I've seen a couple of accounts of .300 BLK KBs in .223 ARs. Haven't seen any with AKs of any sort. Even this one seems more like a case rupture than a KB.

Now that I think about it, has anyone seen an AK in 300 BLK?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Langenator wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:08 amNow that I think about it, has anyone seen an AK in 300 BLK?
It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1cw0zm1Vg

AKBuilder.com listed a .300 barrel but IIRC it was in a 1 in 10" twist, and 300BLK really needs to be 1 in 7" or so. Kind of silly to build a 300 Blackout rifle that won't stabilize most subs. I'd like to build one but you pretty much need the ability to turn your own barrel from a blank; you can't just order a proper .300 AK barrel AFAIK. Also, 5.56 AK parts sets are kind of dear and hard to come by; you would basically need to start with a complete 5.56 rifle to have a practical shot at it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Well there goes my desire for a 300blk. Now who makes a high twist rate 7.62x39 ar barrel?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

Not such a big deal in an x39. Bullet is almost right fit to bore, only undersized a couple thou. You'll have a brass failure which is what happened.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm
Langenator wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am For a truly accurate comparison of the strength of the AR vs AK design, someone needs to try a 300 Blk in a 5.56 AK (this one was 7.62x39.

Most of the time if you put 300blk into a 5.56 chamber, the rifle won't go into battery. The .30 cal bullet hits the neck or the throat, and the action won't quite close. That's for MOST loads though, some will definitely chamber. Not sure if it has been done in a 5.56 AK but it's definitely been done in an AR:

It is my understanding that the rifle didn't survive this, although the shooter was uninjured.
I wonder what the ballistic coefficient on the resulting slug would have been...
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.