Need a new holster

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JKosprey

Re: Need a new holster

Post by JKosprey »

Ended up going with the Crossbreed, since I was able to get it for cheap with a rediscovered Cabela's gift card (thanks in-laws!). The holster arrived yesterday and I think it's going to be a good fit. I like the IWB style mainly because I worry a fair amount about printing. OWB is ultimately much more comfortable but I haven't found an OWB holster that doesn't print unless it's cool enough for a coat.

I'll post a full review at some point after I've had time to wear it awhile longer and break things in, but my primary impression:

1. Holds the gun very close to the body. Great for concealment, but slightly harder for the drawstroke.
2. Concealment is great. I wore the gun empty around the apartment yesterday and *almost* was able to fully conceal in PJ pants and a medium T-shirt. A large would have done the trick.
3. Metal clips that wrap around the belt, rather than hooking the bottom. That's a really big thing for me since I kept breaking the plastic ones on the desantis IWB
4. I may need to trim back the sweat-guard that comes up along the slide. It may be something I can train to get used to but at the moment it makes getting a solid grip on the draw a bit more difficult.

As as aside, I also picked up a Hogue grip sleeve. I'm a fan. The rubber *stickiness* and slightly increased thickness seem to be a good thing. Now I just need a range trip soon....
BDK

Post by BDK »

I used crossbreed holsters, years ago - switched to different carry styles.

You make have to cut a hole in the leather, over the mag release. I kept bumping my mag release, until I did that. Mine also had the horsehide option.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I bought a Crossbreed Supertuck for my 229 a little while back. I'm still breaking it in (it creaks something awful still) and getting used to it. I've only worn it inside the house so far. :oops:

I've had to adjust the cant to get it comfortable, but now it is. I'm going to have to trim the sweat guard though, it's too large and slightly interferes with both draw and, because the edge of it is curling out a little, reholstering.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr