Dan Wesson revolver

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

Dan Wesson revolver

Postby Weetabix » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:06 pm

I just got a used Dan Wesson 15-2 with 4", 6", and 8" barrels, barrel removal tool, and a spare combat grip. I'm planning to do some geeky research. Two questions:

1. Does anyone have anything interesting to share about them?
2. Is anyone interested in my sharing what I find out about it?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Re: Dan Wesson revolver

Postby BDK » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm

I have a beautiful set, in the case, w. patch, original sales invoice, etc.

Mine is very well made, they had some bad years. They were VERY expensive. (Mine sold for $500, July 4, 1976)

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Don't know a thing about them, share away

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Pics or it didn't happen.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:21 am

As requested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:35 am

Some basic info:

As I understand it, Dan Wesson III was the great-grandson of the Wesson of Smith & Wesson. He worked at S&W, but when it was bought out by someone, he went out on his own. Dan Wesson also makes 1911's. CZ bought the Dan Wesson firm at some point.

Basically, these are revolvers with interchangeable barrels. You screw the barrel into the frame, setting the gap with a feeler gauge. Then, you put the barrel shroud on, and another nut threads onto the end of the barrel, capturing the shroud. The way it's tensioned is supposed to make it more accurate. There's a pin in the frame to align the shroud properly.

Also, the cylinder release is on the front rather than the back, again, supposedly to increase accuracy.

Besides the hype and accuracy claims, what I liked is that you get to try three barrel lengths with one gun. I love my 4" 686, so I thought it would be nice to try 6" and 8". The 6" feels like it balances nicely. I need to take that scope adapter off of the 8" to get a feel for it. I also need to buy a gauge so I can make sure it's set right before I fire it.

In theory, I suppose I could put a scope on the 8" barrel and hunt deer.

Blurb from the Dan Wesson site.

The original Dan Wesson revolver improved on the accuracy and service life of the traditional double action revolver design in a few ways. The tensioned barrel of the DW interchangeable barrel system enhances accuracy, pulling the barrel tight like a guitar string, enabling it to vibrate at the same frequency every time. The forward crane latch, located in front of the cylinder and paired with a rear ball detent helps to ensure proper cylinder/barrel alignment during firing. Superior to the rear locking designs of other revolvers, it adds to the accuracy of the 715.

While the tensioned barrel definitely improves accuracy above other revolvers, it’s the consistent cylinder/barrel alignment that contributes most to the accuracy of the design.

Additionally, the clockwise-rotating cylinder reduces stress on the crane, since it turns in the same direction the crane locks, prolonging service life and keeping everything tight.

The 715 is the current model of mine, but the "7" denotes stainless.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:35 am

That's beautiful. Congrats.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:54 am

Back when handgun silhouette shooting was a big thing, the Dan Wesson revolver was very popular, and there were guys running .357s that could hold their own with the .44 Mag guys. Very accurate, and strong enough to handle some "warmish" handloads.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

g-man
Trigger Junkie

Postby g-man » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:49 am

You suck.

Congratulations.

Also, ooooooh, pretty!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Mike OTDP
On a list somewhere

Postby Mike OTDP » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:39 am

I had one once. Rather wish I hadn't had to sell it, but car repairs wouldn't wait...

They've got a well-deserved reputation for accuracy. The headache is that while they are great for single action work, the double action lockwork tends to stack toward the end of the trigger stroke. The trigger is fitted with an adjustable overtravel stop.

Old Grafton
Trigger Junkie

Postby Old Grafton » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:10 pm

30 years ago I got a used blued DW 6" .22 for a really low price. Some critter had spun a cocoon in the center of the barrel leaving a really rough area and that and a few light scratches were reflected in the price. Being at that time raising kids I didn't want to buy a new barrel so I bored out the bad one, turned a liner out of a piece of .22 rifle barrel (surplus Weatherby mk.XXII barrels from Numrich were $15, I had bought a couple for stuff like this previously) and used 5-minute epoxy to glue it in, then recrowned and cut a forcing cone.

It's one of the three most accurate .22 revolvers in the family. My son convinced me out of it 20+ years ago and I still tease him that I'm gonna swipe it back.

One thing to remember about DW's--Don't ever take off the sideplate outside of a clear plastic bag; there's a piece or two liable to launch under spring pressure tucked into that whore's nightmare of a patent-avoiding clockworks.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.

randy

Postby randy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:21 pm

Shiny!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Cobar
Trigger Junkie

Postby Cobar » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Thats a pretty thing

MiddleAgedKen
On a list somewhere

Postby MiddleAgedKen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Right handsome shootin' iron there, Weetabix. :)
Watergate didn't have a body count.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 pm

I showed one of my daughters the revolver. I showed it too her with the various barrel lengths and the different grips.

She said, "It's a Mr. Potato Head!" :lol:

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:47 am

Weetabix wrote:I showed one of my daughters the revolver. I showed it too her with the various barrel lengths and the different grips.

She said, "It's a Mr. Potato Head!" :lol:

What does she say about an AR?
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I hang my head in shame that I haven't shot those with her yet. :oops:

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Weetabix wrote:I hang my head in shame that I haven't shot those with her yet. :oops:

Dude! And you're in a free state?

get-out-266x300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:34 pm

She just hasn't been interested in the platform. She likes her Henry 22, and my pile of handguns.

OK. This should be my resolution for sometime in the next few months: get all the family members who haven't shot AR's out to try them. Then give them some.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 pm

I had an old Doskocil case I'd gotten in a trade. And some old rifle boxes with egg carton foam. Turns out a set of 2 mated layers just fit one side of this case. So, now the Dan Wesson has somewhere to live. Not sure quite where to put the combat grip. Maybe upper right, standing vertically. My foam cutting skills are nascent. I didn't cut the top layers, so there's some compression on the grip. The egg crate on the bottom layer under small parts is suboptimal, but what the heck - it was all stuff I had on hand. The original foam in the case remains uncut. Went to the auto parts store and got a feeler gauge set to set the barrel gap.

FelixEstrella
On a list somewhere

Postby FelixEstrella » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:41 pm

I hate you!
Blogspot
picsig

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:36 am

OK. The youngest daughter who hasn't shot an AR? I took her to the indoor range to shoot the Dan Wesson and my 686. Oddly, I may still like the 686 a bit better. But probably I just need some practice.

We were shooting at 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards. We both shot like crap at 25. It was sad, really.

The DW kept shooting high, and I couldn't get the sights any lower. I also kept feeling some ... spray or something off of the side walls of the booth with it. She felt a bit too, after I asked about it. Not sure what that was. The barrel was set just a bit tighter than 0.006.

Oddly, I shot it better DA than SA. I also like the Hogue grip on the 686 better. I'm going to get one for the DW, and see what it does.

I think I just need more practice with revolvers. I have 113 lbs of ammo coming next week. 1,500 of it is .357. The UPS guy is going to hate me. :D

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Postby Steamforger » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:10 am

I also kept feeling some ... spray or something off of the side walls of the booth with it. She felt a bit too, after I asked about it. Not sure what that was.

Sounds like the cylinder is mis-timed. It happens. Basically, the cylinder is not lining up with the forcing cone as perfectly as it should.

Here's a blurb I pulled off another forum-
The symptoms tend to be a pronounced loss of accuracy, some really obvious staining and mess on the face of the cylinder and frame and (perhaps most worrisome) the gun is said to “spit.” In short, bits of the bullet escape through the small amount of the active chamber and pepper anything within 180 degrees of the gun.

Take it to a smith that does cowboy action shooting work.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:17 am

I wasn't getting it on every cylinder, so maybe that's it. I shot a group at 7 yds with 4 almost touching and 2 that I might call flyers. I wonder if those were the cylinders with issues. I'll have to look for leading, maybe.

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:28 pm

The smith looked at it. Not a take apart look, but under a light and magnifier. He thought it was the gap. I set it to 0.006, snugged it a bit, made sure I could still see a gap and that the cylinder didn't rub anywhere.

I'd read on the Dan Wesson forum that some people set it as tight as 0.002 and just periodically wipe the cylinder face. I'd also read that the 0.006 gap was Dan Wesson's way of preventing calls about cylinders that wouldn't turn. :)

Shot a box, and it seemed better. I split the box between the 6" and 8" barrel. No problems. No odd fliers that I couldn't attribute to myself.

I really need to practice my revolver shooting. Snap caps should arrive while I'm out of town.

NVGdude
Trigger Junkie

Postby NVGdude » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 am

Weetabix wrote:
I'd read on the Dan Wesson forum that some people set it as tight as 0.002 and just periodically wipe the cylinder face..

The Suppermags were specced to be set to .002. Partially to mitigate flame cutting, but that wasn't really an issue with the DWs since most folks were shooting heavy bullets to knock over the rams.

Return to “Guns and Shooting”