Dan Wesson revolver

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Dan Wesson revolver

Post by Weetabix »

I just got a used Dan Wesson 15-2 with 4", 6", and 8" barrels, barrel removal tool, and a spare combat grip. I'm planning to do some geeky research. Two questions:

1. Does anyone have anything interesting to share about them?
2. Is anyone interested in my sharing what I find out about it?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Re: Dan Wesson revolver

Post by BDK »

I have a beautiful set, in the case, w. patch, original sales invoice, etc.

Mine is very well made, they had some bad years. They were VERY expensive. (Mine sold for $500, July 4, 1976)
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Don't know a thing about them, share away
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Pics or it didn't happen.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

As requested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Some basic info:

As I understand it, Dan Wesson III was the great-grandson of the Wesson of Smith & Wesson. He worked at S&W, but when it was bought out by someone, he went out on his own. Dan Wesson also makes 1911's. CZ bought the Dan Wesson firm at some point.

Basically, these are revolvers with interchangeable barrels. You screw the barrel into the frame, setting the gap with a feeler gauge. Then, you put the barrel shroud on, and another nut threads onto the end of the barrel, capturing the shroud. The way it's tensioned is supposed to make it more accurate. There's a pin in the frame to align the shroud properly.

Also, the cylinder release is on the front rather than the back, again, supposedly to increase accuracy.

Besides the hype and accuracy claims, what I liked is that you get to try three barrel lengths with one gun. I love my 4" 686, so I thought it would be nice to try 6" and 8". The 6" feels like it balances nicely. I need to take that scope adapter off of the 8" to get a feel for it. I also need to buy a gauge so I can make sure it's set right before I fire it.

In theory, I suppose I could put a scope on the 8" barrel and hunt deer.

Blurb from the Dan Wesson site.
The original Dan Wesson revolver improved on the accuracy and service life of the traditional double action revolver design in a few ways. The tensioned barrel of the DW interchangeable barrel system enhances accuracy, pulling the barrel tight like a guitar string, enabling it to vibrate at the same frequency every time. The forward crane latch, located in front of the cylinder and paired with a rear ball detent helps to ensure proper cylinder/barrel alignment during firing. Superior to the rear locking designs of other revolvers, it adds to the accuracy of the 715.

While the tensioned barrel definitely improves accuracy above other revolvers, it’s the consistent cylinder/barrel alignment that contributes most to the accuracy of the design.

Additionally, the clockwise-rotating cylinder reduces stress on the crane, since it turns in the same direction the crane locks, prolonging service life and keeping everything tight.
The 715 is the current model of mine, but the "7" denotes stainless.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That's beautiful. Congrats.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Back when handgun silhouette shooting was a big thing, the Dan Wesson revolver was very popular, and there were guys running .357s that could hold their own with the .44 Mag guys. Very accurate, and strong enough to handle some "warmish" handloads.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
g-man

Post by g-man »

You suck.

Congratulations.

Also, ooooooh, pretty!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

I had one once. Rather wish I hadn't had to sell it, but car repairs wouldn't wait...

They've got a well-deserved reputation for accuracy. The headache is that while they are great for single action work, the double action lockwork tends to stack toward the end of the trigger stroke. The trigger is fitted with an adjustable overtravel stop.