School me on reticles

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

School me on reticles

Post by Weetabix »

Looking for a scope for an AR10. I'll use it for targets and steel mostly. Probably 100-250 yards. Could be dusk sometimes.

My envelope is probably (2 or 3) to (9 or 10) by (36 to 50). Considering Zeiss, Swarovski, Vortex based on things I've read. I want clarity and light.

But I'm thinking about reticles right now.

I'm not thinking BDC. I don't know if I'll get into obsessive handloading, and I tend to shoot the ammo I can find reasonably.

Mildot, maybe. It appeals to the geek in me.

Whatever each manufacturer calls the pointy thick lines to the thin center lines maybe.

What do you like and why?

Fire away.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Re: School me on reticles

Post by Steamforger »

Your short range, low power, low light requirements, and apparent hatred of money kind of sound like a Trijicon of some flavor in .308. I know you aren't hot on a BDC reticle, but if you're planning on that short a range, you might as well get some quick & easy holdovers out of the deal.

Seriously, 100-250 yards is phone booth ranges for .308.

I just don't know how to really provide you any info on this. The brands you mention offer ultra-premiums and are known for quality, but dropping nearly $1k on a scope you'll be taking out to 250 seems like you're after the wrong tool for the job. They do make some low power stuff, but if you want anything other than a "plex" reticle or just a basic crosshair, you're going to have to move up the product chain some.

Swarovski 3-10x42 BRX reticle $900.
Zeiss Conquest 1-4x24 #62 reticle $900.
Vortex 1-6x24 Viper PST gen II MOA $700.

If you did a 200 yard zero, you're only going to need to hold a few inches low at the worst <200, and like 1/2" high for 250. A simple red dot or a holographic would get you this with ease.

The Redfield HTRN mentioned would be a solid choice. This Leupoldmight also get you what you're looking for, though IIRC, Leupold makes the Redfields anyway. Hell, even a Strike Eagle would likely perform well, though you probably should look through one first. I haven't found the glass to be as amazing as everyone else seems to, but I still don't have any problems running it out to max range and then holding over for some stuff after that.
Last edited by Steamforger on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Thats knife fighting range for a 308. I would suggest the Redfield tactical 3-9 as its cheap, and halfway decent, and for what you want it for, spending more is kinda wasted - 250 yards is basically point blank range with s 308.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Perhaps I've got some 'splaining to do. :lol:
Steamforger wrote:Your ... apparent hatred of money...
It's not that. I think I got overexcited about some comments I found from Denis when I was searching the forum for scope posts. And I thought, "CLARITY!!! LOW LIGHT!!!" Maybe I got over excited about that. I had a Burris MTAC 1.5-6 on it on a QD mount. That was all fine, but I didn't like the reticle on it. I was actually seeing OK with that. So, maybe you guys will help me spend money on ammo instead of glass. ;)
I know you aren't hot on a BDC reticle, but if you're planning on that short a range, you might as well get some quick & easy holdovers out of the deal.
I was more thinking out loud, maybe. I was under the impression that a BDC is usually tuned to one particular caliber/load. But I suppose I could observe and math a little.
Seriously, 100-250 yards is phone booth ranges for .308.
What's decent shooter range for .308? I'm OK, I guess. I scored Rifleman once at an Appleseed, but I'm not sure how well that actually translates to other situations.
The brands you mention offer ultra-premiums and are known for quality, but dropping nearly $1k on a scope you'll be taking out to 250 seems like you're after the wrong tool for the job. They do make some low power stuff, but if you want anything other than a "plex" reticle or just a basic crosshair, you're going to have to move up the product chain some.
It sounds like I may be focusing (ahem) on the wrong thing? Maybe just about anything is OK for what I'm probably going to do with it.

My buddy is a DIY'er. So, phone pole pile backstop in a brush hogged cut with Sharpie targets on recycled control panel plan sheets. It's hard for me to see at the distances we shoot. And I want to beat him at his own game. That's why I was looking for clarity and light gathering.

But I may be able to get enough without a premium brand. OTOH, I've always wondered if the premium brands are that much better, so I was thinking a lower level in those. Maybe I need to rethink that. On the gripping hand, my gun budget is full right now, and there are no guns I feel a burning need for, so spending it on glass didn't seem too irresponsible.
A simple red dot or a holographic would get you this with ease.
Astigmatism and old eyes make me want at least some magnification and something that won't fuzz.

That Redfield doesn't look bad.

As usual, we've drifted from reticles. Maybe I just need to make sure it's not one I hate. :)
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

If you are looking 200 yards are in, I would go to Bass Pro / Cabelas / whatever and look through their 2x7 and 3x9 scopes that are decent name and cost $200 and up. (Not saying below that is all bad, but crap shooty). Pick the one you like and go.

All the good ones and better will be fine in that range.

Also think about weight. I had a very clear IOR scope a number of years ago that I sold because it was like having a brick or two strapped to my rifle.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Steamforger wrote:Your ... apparent hatred of money ...
I read this last night, so this morning, I skipped my premium latte in the single-use platinum cup. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote:What's decent shooter range for .308? I'm OK, I guess. I scored Rifleman once at an Appleseed, but I'm not sure how well that actually translates to other situations
Anywhere from 500 yards to 1000+ depending on bullet, barrel length, and overall accuracy of the firearm. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

For what it's worth, which is about what you paid for it, I'd get a fixed power (4X) scope with a heavy duplex reticle. It's easy, it's simple, and if you play around with it a little, you'll find the range where you can use the fat part of the lower vertical as a German post, for when you get out of point-blank range. (No, I didn't think of that, #1 Senior Minion did, when I put a scout scope on her Savage.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Burris AR-536.

Can be had in a "tatical kit" that includes a sunshade, anti reflection device and a FastFire 3 (the link says FF2, but its a 3 currently).

Its main downside is short eye relief.

A lot of taticool for the money.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

First Shirt wrote:For what it's worth, which is about what you paid for it, I'd get a fixed power (4X) scope with a heavy duplex reticle. It's easy, it's simple, and if you play around with it a little, you'll find the range where you can use the fat part of the lower vertical as a German post, for when you get out of point-blank range. (No, I didn't think of that, #1 Senior Minion did, when I put a scout scope on her Savage.)
+1

I use that trick when shooting targets at over 250m with one of my tactical or hunting rifles. I'm primarily a hunter, so none of my shots are over 250m.

I have a mil-dot on my .50 BMG and on my .338 Lapua, which get taken out very infrequently because getting to a place where I can shoot over 300m is a major PITA. Anything under 300m, you don't need mil-dot.

Steamforger's recommendation on the Swarovski is a steal at $900. Only 2 left as of this posting: https://swfa.com/swarovski-3-10x42-z3-riflescope-6.html

If I had a rifle to put it on, it would be 1 left. I have more Zeiss than Swaro because the old Swaro's had poor eye relief. Swaro fixed that problem with the Z-series.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe