Polymer 80 build

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: Polymer 80 build

Post by Combat Controller »

Any update? How's it shooting?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Jered

Post by Jered »

How long did that take you, because it looks pretty easy.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I picked up one of the full size Glock P80 second gen frame kits, and a lower parts kit. It'll be a while (the garage is a furnace in the summer so its likely a fall project) but I'm going to set it up to use with a Mech Tech CCU to build a 9mm carbine. I really don't have a use for a 9mm pistol unless at some point that turns out to be the 'right' CCW for me (and it won't be a Glock, I tried those) but I miss my old roommate's Marlin Camp 9. Such a nice range blaster, 9mm is relatively cheap, and Glock magazines are cheap and easy.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Midway USA is having a 50% off sale on some of the Polymer80 pistol frames; $75 instead of $150: Here

Also Glock slides and parts kits here and here though not as big a sale on those.
ShooterScott

Post by ShooterScott »

Rich Jordan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:38 am Thanks. I'm regretting all the more not buying one or two of the kits last year when a site was clearancing them.
100% this. I had a chance at an insane price and am really kicking myself for not buying the product.
Ex Coast Guard, Full time assistant cook, part time blogger
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

ShooterScott wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:41 pm
Rich Jordan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:38 am Thanks. I'm regretting all the more not buying one or two of the kits last year when a site was clearancing them.
100% this. I had a chance at an insane price and am really kicking myself for not buying the product.
Those were the gen1 versions. Looks like the current gen2 is quit a bit better with a metal rear rail instead of cutting a rail out of the polymer. Incidentally, what polymer do they use for these? They say to NOT use acetone, so i’m guessing its not nylon, but they dont say what it is.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I picked up a Mech Tech CCU for Glock 17 that is on its way. I don't own a Glock; I'm going to see if I can get it to work on the Polymer 80 frame. I understand that some extra clearancing may be needed but it is not supposed to affect usability with an actual Glock frame.

Fingers crossed.
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

I decided to pull the trigger on the Polymer80 lowers to do a G23 and a G20SF build, as I was getting some aftermarket slides with RMR cut-outs. I should have all the parts ordered for the G23 build, but nothing yet for the G20SF clone. I went with OEM Glock parts kits for the lower and upper on the G23. Anything worthwhile to be away of in the build process???
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Sorry, work ate the holidays again, rarely been online. I assume you've already built it but just in case.

Good quality drill when drilling the pinholes. Per their instructions don't use a drill press, but you want that bit spinning with no wobble. A lighter drill is easier to keep straight up and down than a heavy, a lighter dremel or equivalent is easier to use when cutting out the recoil spring/barrel area.

Drill the pins one side at a time, not straight through. Let the template guide the bit and be careful about any side pressure or going off vertical.

I've done two, one worked fine, the other I managed a _tiny_ misalignment on one of the rear pins that made installing the rear block a PITA. But when I pulled it to install different trigger components because the trigger pull *sucked*, it went together somewhat easier the second time.

It may be a Glock thing but the stock triggers sucked! Long mushy pull.

The 17 frame works great on a Mech Tech CCU; I don't have any Glock upper parts.