22 revolver for plinking 3" J frame vs 4" N Frame

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
BDK

22 revolver for plinking 3" J frame vs 4" N Frame

Post by BDK »

8 shot for the J frame, and 10 shot in the N frame.

Mainly, it'll be for new shooters/perhaps for doing some steel challenge. Any thoughts on the two?
Greg

Re: 22 revolver for plinking 3" J frame vs 4" N Frame

Post by Greg »

I have a 4" 10 shot 617, but it's an [strike]L frame[/strike] (er, no, K frame, but it's similar in size and weight to the L frame 686. Full underlug, heavy.). I love it.

The main downside is, it's heavy. But that also makes it very steady, and reduces recoil to really negligible levels. So the weight isn't purely a downside. Well except if you're carrying it all day.

I'd like to try a J frame plinker, but never have.

Just guessing here, but I'd probably prefer the J frame as a trail gun for fun while hiking, and the bigger one at the range.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BDK

Post by BDK »

I stank corrected. I thought the 617 was on the N frame
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

BDK wrote:I stank corrected. I thought the 617 was on the N frame
617 is a K frame. I have a six shot version with 6" barrel, it shoots it's got eyes of it's own.
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I picked up a nice plinker a little while back. Heritage Rough Rider single action. Fun little 6 shooter that came with 2 cylinders for .22lr and .22 magnum. Took it to the range twice so far. A fair amount of fun for 200 bucks.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

My Dad had an H&R Sportsman 999, 9-shot top break. It was quite accurate, and a very fun gun, and I learned to shoot a handgun with it.

Unfortunately it was stolen by a 'caregiver' and so far not recovered; when time allows I'm going to try and find another.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote:
617 is a K frame. I have a six shot version with 6" barrel, it shoots it's got eyes of it's own.
In theory, the six shot version is more accurate due to fewer chambers and therefore less chamber variation. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
MarkD wrote:
In theory, the six shot version is more accurate due to fewer chambers and therefore less chamber variation. :ugeek:
So you're on record as a fan of the single-shot revolver. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Greg wrote:
HTRN wrote:
MarkD wrote: 617 is a K frame. I have a six shot version with 6" barrel, it shoots it's got eyes of it's own.
So you're on record as a fan of the single-shot revolver. :lol:
I get that you're kidding, but it's not uncommon for people who use revolvers for Bullseye to figure out which of their Chambers throws a flyer and use the other five. I never got good enough that it mattered.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Another common trick is to chase all the holes in the cylinder with a reamer the thinking is that any tight chambers will be opened up..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt