CMP 1911 pistol sales, preliminary info

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Windy Wilson

Re: CMP 1911 pistol sales, preliminary info

Post by Windy Wilson »

John_in_Longview wrote:The first rule was not to tell anyone who doesn't visit the CMP website about the 1911 sales..... ;)
Yes, but we're family here!
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Be fine if this takes the pressure of Norinco 1911 prices and opens some opportunities in the used market here. They've to be rare and hen's teeth in CA and I wouldn't mind have another -- or 2, or 3.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Hmph. Personally, I think CMP is bleeding a lot of goodwill on the 1911s. The one-per-year is OK. The random draw is fine. Demanding a complete new paperwork package is a PITA. But demanding an 01 FFL for transfer is very questionable, most FFLs these days won't give you a hard copy. And it's a serious poke in the eye to C&R holders.

For a shooter, I'd either buy new or look at a Sistema Colt.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Mike OTDP wrote:Hmph. Personally, I think CMP is bleeding a lot of goodwill on the 1911s. The one-per-year is OK. The random draw is fine. Demanding a complete new paperwork package is a PITA. But demanding an 01 FFL for transfer is very questionable, most FFLs these days won't give you a hard copy. And it's a serious poke in the eye to C&R holders.
I think a lot of the hoops were put in place to appease Congress. The entity selling the 1911s is separate legally from the CMP, which is why everyone has to submit new paperwork.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

D5CAV wrote:Thanks!

US Army pistols are great. I transitioned from 1911A1 to M9. I never saw the point of the M9. The 1911A1 worked fine.
NATO....
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Mike OTDP wrote:Hmph. Personally, I think CMP is bleeding a lot of goodwill on the 1911s. The one-per-year is OK. The random draw is fine. Demanding a complete new paperwork package is a PITA. But demanding an 01 FFL for transfer is very questionable, most FFLs these days won't give you a hard copy. And it's a serious poke in the eye to C&R holders.

The not shipping to a C&R holder turned me off of them.

As a C&R holder, I can buy a machine gun from someone, but I can't buy a 1911 from someone. WTF ghost rider?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
John_in_Longview

Jered wrote:

The not shipping to a C&R holder turned me off of them.

As a C&R holder, I can buy a machine gun from someone, but I can't buy a 1911 from someone. WTF ghost rider?
Not shipping to a C&R holder is not the CMP's decision, but that of the Army, and the BATF.
From the CMP website:
Reasons for the two NICS checks:

First Reason: The first NICS check makes sure the customer can legally possess the 1911 type pistol prior to shipping it to the local 01, or 02, or 07 FFL dealer. The CMP, Congress, and the United States Army do not want the 1911 to have to be shipped back to CMP 1911 if the purchaser is not legal to possess. The more in transit the pistol is, the more likely it could be lost or stolen. The second NICS check is performed by the local 01, or 02, or 07 FFL in accordance with their standard transfer procedures.

Second Reason: CMP’s enabling legislation mandated by Congress specifies that the purchaser “successfully pass a thorough and complete background check”, i.e. NICS. CMP cannot turn any firearm over to the purchaser until it receives a “proceed” from NICS, the local FFL can turn the pistol over after 72 business hours have elapsed if they have not heard back from NICS. Turning the pistol over after 72 hours and not getting a “proceed” does not satisfy CMP’s enabling legislation mandated by Congress. This leaves CMP no choice but to have a NICS check done and get a “proceed” to satisfy its enabling legislation, before shipping to the local 01, or 02, or 07 FFL.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by an FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one the information provided by CMP to NICS and the second the information will be provided to NICS by the FFL dealer in which the pistol is shipped.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Doesn't make it any less illogical.

A C&R holder can buy any other handgun that's over 50 years old and some that aren't.
John_in_Longview

Jered wrote:Doesn't make it any less illogical.
A C&R holder can buy any other handgun that's over 50 years old and some that aren't.
I agree. My point is that the conditions of the 1911 sales were set by the Army, Congress, and the BATF, not by the CMP.
Jered

Post by Jered »

It's the government logical consistency isn't a thing.

You're telling Mr. C&R holder that he can buy that 1911 that's over 50 years old, but not this 1911 that's over 50 years old.

*headdesk*

I give up.

:roll: :lol: