Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Post by Rich Jordan »

I remember reading about .35 Whelen and .35-06 M1 Garand conversions some time ago. The owners were very happy with their hunting capabilities. But I'm going to have to stick to the commons...
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Thanks to my LaRue BuildAR membership I will soon have $1200 in LaRue gift cards that I got at a substantial discount. That might be enough to push the decision to a 7.62 AR platform; all I need is a lower and optics/mount; the cards cover the complete upper kit sans magazines in basic black. I might need another $200 to have them assemble it since I don't have any large frame tools. Thats a trade off but I don't think I'm likely to need to build another so the tools might never get used again.

Since I'm not aiming at long range mastery with a ton of milsurp rounds, I would get something like an M-308 Nikon on an Aero mount for this. Maybe one will be on sale this Friday-Monday. Got some Cabelas cards too...
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I have a couple AR 10s that will soon be illegal in NJ I could sell you. :x :x :x
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Rich Jordan wrote:I remember reading about .35 Whelen and .35-06 M1 Garand conversions some time ago. The owners were very happy with their hunting capabilities. But I'm going to have to stick to the commons...
A friend of mine shot his moose with a standard M1 Garand in .30-06; it seemed to have gotten the job done for him.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Rich Jordan wrote:I remember reading about .35 Whelen and .35-06 M1 Garand conversions some time ago. The owners were very happy with their hunting capabilities. But I'm going to have to stick to the commons...
The 9.3x62 Mauser, or .35 Whelen Improved, is all that can be asked of the 30-06 case.................and is quite adequate for anything in North America.
And the 9.3x62 was invented in 1905........LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

HTRN wrote:Palmetto is running a sale in 308 uppers and lowers, I think they're were certain combinations in the 400 dollar range.. :ugeek: :shock:
Paid $458 shipped for the one (complete upper+complete lower) I ordered from them the end of October.

Ran like a top at the range on Monday.

I just "wanted one", too. That price just can't be passed up. :D

Only caveat is that you probably don't want to mix and match parts with those unless you like troubleshooting. ;)
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Good deal. Enjoy. I have a variety of 7.62x51's and I tend to just grab the AR10 each time due to manual of arms and weight.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

One of the AR option I'm looking at has a choice in barrel lengths of 16", 18" and 20" (plus whatever muzzle feature, which won't be a suppressor here in ill annoy. The M1-A I fired was a 22"; other than that all my current .30 rifles are .30-06 and 24" barrels (Garand and M1903).

Any recommendations from those who might have AR10 rifles? I imagine a 16" will be a bit of a blaster, so careful selection of a compensator/brake would be needed. I like the linear comps I have on the 5.56 and .300BO rifles but the 7.62x51 is a higher order of concussion and flash.

Thanks
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Rich Jordan wrote:One of the AR option I'm looking at has a choice in barrel lengths of 16", 18" and 20" (plus whatever muzzle feature, which won't be a suppressor here in ill annoy. The M1-A I fired was a 22"; other than that all my current .30 rifles are .30-06 and 24" barrels (Garand and M1903).

Any recommendations from those who might have AR10 rifles? I imagine a 16" will be a bit of a blaster, so careful selection of a compensator/brake would be needed. I like the linear comps I have on the 5.56 and .300BO rifles but the 7.62x51 is a higher order of concussion and flash.

Thanks
The 16 is a bit blasty, I would say don't get under 18" so as to get decent ballistics and range out of it. I notice the bullet drop is a bit further at ranges of 300 meters. I have a a couple of 16" and while powerful and short defense and close in stalking rifles they don;t really have the optimal length barrel. 18" is supposed to be optimal but another 2" is no big deal. Longer than that and you rob it of velocity due to drag, the powder is all burned out. We ran tests with a 26" and at the end my buddy cut his down to 20". my 2 cents.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

My G3 has an 18 inch barrel and I also have a Savage bolt action with a 22 inch barrel (older pre Accu-trigger). I don't think there is too much difference between the two at least at the ranges I have used them to (say less than 200 yards). Actually the G3 groups a bit better, or at least it did back when I had it scoped; I am not quite so precise with the irons. But I had that trigger worked and it is very smooth, which is the likely difference.)

I actually would not mind a 16 inch barrel G3 with a telescoping stock. I think that would be a hoot and just fine for most of what I want to do, but that is not the way I would go if I did not already have what I have.