Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Post by First Shirt »

Rich Jordan wrote:Well, I know a wood/fiberglass stocked M1-A fits me pretty well. No idea on the SOCOM types. My favorite and most comfortable full size rifle to shoot remains the M1 Garand, though as previously noted I'm going to have to put optics on my rifles in the not too distant future. The ARs all have scopes or red dots and those work better for me than iron sights any more, but put any of my ARs next to a Garand and I'll grab the Garand every time (unless I need to hit things many times with small bullets in a hurry).

That 7.62x51 Garand is over $1K also. I've got a ton of enbloc clips, which is a plus, but I'd need to know that the rifle can take an Ultimak or Amega mount to add optics. I'm not going to drill a Garand for a side mount or fake up an M1-D on it (I've got a real M1-D)

I need to check the shops in the area and see if any have the various rifles in stock, especially ranges that might have them to rent. Even if I can't shoot them I can handle them and see how they fit.
http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

And, yes, he can install an Ultimak rail on one, as well.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

blackeagle603 wrote:Just back home from an early Thanksgiving get together with extended family. Looks like I'll be getting a give-away price on an AR-10 style lower from nephew who's got several just sitting. Of course I immediately start thinking about alternate caliber options... /heh/
If you have the tools to assemble, here's one higher end option in multiple calibers from LaRue, if it will fit your lower (they have two styles). I've built two LaRue small frame uppers and I'm delighted with both of them.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Jered wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:

It would also be remiss to not post a reminder of why Springfield Armory sucks goat balls:

https://bearingarms.com/david-l/2017/05 ... nois-ffls/

https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyone-b ... ld-armory/
I suddenly don't feel too guilty for trading my Springfield M1A for an AK any more.
I'm keeping my XD(M) but that remains a good reason to look elsewhere for an M1-A or SAR. Ditto RRA, though the one I've got I had since 2007.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

First Shirt wrote:
http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

And, yes, he can install an Ultimak rail on one, as well.
Thanks! I'll take a look at that; as it happens I have a lot of Garand spares, including a spare receiver and trigger group.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

For the 308 vs 7.62 NATO ammo distinction, there are rifles where it can be an issue, but I actually think it is an overblown question relative to the rifle. It is most definitely not when it comes to reloading (7.62 NATO brass has about 10% less internal volume, so you have to adjust the loads down to maintain the same pressure). Certainly for the HK / G3 family, all of the manuals I have seen list both 7.62 and 308 as acceptable. I believe it the same for the M14/M1A family too, but I have not shot one in a long while so maybe not.

If you get the PTR, get one with the welded weaver rail on the receiver. The clamp on scope mounts are heavy and a pain in the rear end, the welded rail is a much better solution. I think with the rail, scope mounting on the G3 family comes in second on the list to the AR10 family, but better than the FAL/M14. Without it, I would say it is close to last. (There are other things I like about the G3 better though).

If I were to put them in my order of preference:

G3/PTR
M14/M1A (very close to the G3, I like them both)
AR10 (AR ergonomics have never felt comfortable to me)
FAL
Last edited by Vonz90 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I have some trigger time on a Sig 716. I liked it very much. It was rather spendy though....
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Vonz90 wrote:For the 308 vs 7.62 NATO ammo distinction, there are rifles where it can be an issue, but I actually think it is an overblown question relative to the rifle. It is most definitely not when it comes to reloading (7.62 NATO brass has about 10% less internal volume, so you have to adjust the loads down to maintain the same pressure). Certainly for the HK / G3 family, all of the manuals I have seen list both 7.62 and 308 as acceptable. I believe it the same for the M14/M1A family too, but I have not shot one in a long while so maybe not.

If you get the PTR, get one with the welded weaver rail on the receiver. The clamp on scope mounts are heavy and a pain in the rear end, the welded rail is a much better solution. I think with the rail, scope mounting on the G3 family comes in second on the list to the AR10 family, but better than the FAL/M14. Without it, I would say it is close to last. (There are other things I like about the G3 better though).

If I were to put them in my order of preference:

G3/PTR
M14/M1A (very close to the G3, I like them both)
AR10 (AR ergonomics have never felt comfortable to me)
FAL
Agree with everything Vonz says, with the following edits:
1. I would put the FAL ahead of the AR10 (AR10 magazines are all over the map, FAL is standard. FAL is more foolproof)
2. HK91s can still be found for about $2000. I put a friend on one recently. PTRs are a great price-performer, but if you can afford another $1000, go with an HK. Skip any G3 version made by Hesse or Century (ask me how I know this)
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Netpackrat wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:Just back home from an early Thanksgiving get together with extended family. Looks like I'll be getting a give-away price on an AR-10 style lower from nephew who's got several just sitting. Of course I immediately start thinking about alternate caliber options... /heh/
If it was made by Palmetto State Armory, run far, far away.
80% lower and he's got a table top mill jigged, programmed and proven.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

First Shirt wrote:
"or I can install one of my special .35 Whelen barrels for $400."

Be still my beating heart.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Palmetto is running a sale in 308 uppers and lowers, I think they're were certain combinations in the 400 dollar range.. :ugeek: :shock:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt