Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:37 pm

In the ammo salad days I laid in several thousand rounds of .308 and 7.62x51 ammo, with the certainty I'd have a rifle for that load someday. Most of it is the South African surplus, but also British and Australian.

I still don't have one. The original plan was an M1-A or equivalent, since I love my M1 Garands and do pretty well with them, but now there's a plethora of AR style rifles in the caliber, and I've grown fond of my ARs in 5.56 and .300 Blackout. I don't want a bolt gun in this caliber (I've got those in .30-06 and 6.5 Swedish). I considered a FAL but missed my chance on the cheap excellent parts kits, and they've gotten pretty pricey since.

I rented an M1-A at a range a couple of weeks ago and it was as thoroughly enjoyable as my Garands. That range doesn't have a 7.62 AR for rent, so I'm checking for ranges that do.

So I'm looking for thoughts on the current options. I'm ok shopping around for a nice used rifle (especially M1-A/FAL or other non AR). I'm undecided on the M1-A variants (SOCOM, CQB, Scout); the one I shot was a standard Springfield Armory model, and I know the shorter barrels with brakes will be less pleasant to shoot.

Usage: mostly shooting for enjoyment, plinking, target shooting, maybe some training. Options: I'm 55; the ability to add an optic without buying a stupid expensive or very rare hard to get mount would be a plus.

Of course there's always the alternative; I have too darn many calibers already, the .30-06 will do everything the .308 can and more, the .300 blackout will handle low end .30 caliber needs, so I should just sell the ammo and stick with what I have... and that is also under consideration. If I didn't have the .308 stash I would not be considering a rifle.

Thanks!

User avatar
evan price
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:24 am
Location: OH-IO The heart of it all!

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby evan price » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm

G3 ar10 cetme or fal.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

User avatar
Steamforger
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2715
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Steamforger » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:10 pm

DSA Voyagers are priced into the PTR 91 range right now. I have a Saiga .308 I picked up when they were a new thing. It's fun enough, but the installed sights only go to 300, so an optic for some long range fun is necessary and right now they probably fall into the same price range as the other two. I've always wanted an M1A. I just never seemed to find the right one when the checking account could take it.

Incidentally, NATO surplus .308 tends to be Berdan primed unless it's US made. I know Portuguese, British, and S.A. are.
Last edited by Steamforger on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 am
Location: The Misty Mountains

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Jered » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:21 pm

evan price wrote:G3 ar10 cetme or fal.


Or the BM=59.



PTR makes a decent G3 reproduction. Stay away from the CAI CETME. Far away. Seriously far away. It you can find a SAR-4800 they're a good choice for the FAL.

G3 pros:
-cheap magazines
-lots of aftermarket accessories
- relatively easy to disassemble

G3 cons:
-No bolt hold open feature
-Not ergonomic unless you are a Teutonic ubermensch
-the recoil is stiff

M1A pros:
-excellent sights
-mild recoil
-stripper clip guide

M1A cons:
-It's fairly complicated
-mags can be relatively expensive
-Springfield M1As use a cast receiver

AR-10. I don't know much about these other than that mags are expensive

FAL pros:
-simple disassembly with few easy to lose parts
-last round bolt hold open
-fairly ergonomic
-Excellent sights on par with M1A
-the right arm of the free world

FAL cons:
-2 different kinds (inch/metric) of magazines
-new production may have QC issues
-vertical stringing because of tilting bolt
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: MO
Contact:

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Weetabix » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 pm

I believe I've read that you can shoot 7.62x51 in a .308, but not .308 in a 7.62x51, if that make a difference. You should check me on that, though.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

User avatar
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 am
Location: The Misty Mountains

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Jered » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Weetabix wrote:I believe I've read that you can shoot 7.62x51 in a .308, but not .308 in a 7.62x51, if that make a difference. You should check me on that, though.


I've heard variants of that, too. It has to do with the testing method used for the rounds. The 7.62 used the Copper Units of Pressure to measure pressure. .308 used piezoelectric testing that measured PSI.

Here and here are articles about it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks all. I was throwing .308 and 7.62 out interchangeably but the NATO chambering is what I'm looking for. I doubt I have more than 100 rounds of actual .308 Win ammo.

Jered, thanks especially for all the detail points.

And yes, its mostly Berdan primed so I'm very unlikely to be reloading the caliber.

I neglected to mention I have at least 8 and possibly more (in storage) magazines for M14-alikes. They're a mix of Korean issue and USGI; I took a pair of Koreans to the range and used them for all the shooting I did on the rental (about 80 rounds total; had to buy their ammo) with no faults. I also found a bag in storage with some "G3" magazines (at least they match the images for same) that I must have bought back then 'just in case' but don't recall.

I don't think I ever got FAL magazines because I didn't know what type I might end up needing, but the only way to be sure is get more boxes out of storage and look.

I need to set a budget. New M1-A rifles are $1500 and up. Used (around here) is not much cheaper. Some of the others named here are $1k or more based on a quick check. A quality AR will probably start at $1400 (new); a LaRue would be more like $1500 for a kit or $2500 and up for a complete rifle (the latter is right out; the former I might be able to get a deal on).

No Smith Enterprises or Fulton Armory M14s in my range...

I know its not going to be a cheap purchase. Even building an AR from less expensive parts will push $850, and I don't have the tools for a large frame build. But we'll see.

User avatar
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 am
Location: The Misty Mountains

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Jered » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:11 am

Your best bet is probably a PTR-91, then.

Brownells has a 10 pack of G3 magazines for $34.99..

Atlantic Firearms has a PTR-91 for $925.

If magazines are the only thing holding you back from a G3 style rifle, they're $3.50 each.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
First Shirt
Active Shooter
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby First Shirt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 am

I think if I was really jonesing for a .308 autoloader, I'd find a mixmaster Garand, and send it off to Tim Shufflin to have him make a Mini-G out of it. It uses the same en-bloc clips as the Garand, and you wind up with a tanker-sized Garand that's 38 inches long, and weighs 7-1/2 lbs.

Of course, that's just me.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

User avatar
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 am
Location: The Misty Mountains

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Jered » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:04 am

First Shirt wrote:I think if I was really jonesing for a .308 autoloader, I'd find a mixmaster Garand, and send it off to Tim Shufflin to have him make a Mini-G out of it. It uses the same en-bloc clips as the Garand, and you wind up with a tanker-sized Garand that's 38 inches long, and weighs 7-1/2 lbs.

Of course, that's just me.


RM1308SPECIAL at the CMP.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
First Shirt
Active Shooter
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby First Shirt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:25 am

Great! Now I just have to hope that the Christmas bonus is REALLY good!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

User avatar
Vonz90
Active Shooter
Posts: 3018
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Vonz90 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 am

Jered wrote:Your best bet is probably a PTR-91, then.

Brownells has a 10 pack of G3 magazines for $34.99..

Atlantic Firearms has a PTR-91 for $925.

If magazines are the only thing holding you back from a G3 style rifle, they're $3.50 each.


I think the PTR's are a good bet. I have a different clone but the smith that built mine unfortunately passed away a few years ago son that is not an option.

I would say handle one first. G3s fit me great but of course I am a Teutonic Ubermann so there is that. Some people hate the ergonomic of them.

In the end all the 7.62 battle rifles are good choices- it is just a matter of taste.

User avatar
tcourtplayer
Case Shiner
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:05 am
Location: FL

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby tcourtplayer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 am

Vonz90 wrote:
Jered wrote:Your best bet is probably a PTR-91, then.

Brownells has a 10 pack of G3 magazines for $34.99..

Atlantic Firearms has a PTR-91 for $925.

If magazines are the only thing holding you back from a G3 style rifle, they're $3.50 each.


I think the PTR's are a good bet. I have a different clone but the smith that built mine unfortunately passed away a few years ago son that is not an option.

I would say handle one first. G3s fit me great but of course I am a Teutonic Ubermann so there is that. Some people hate the ergonomic of them.

In the end all the 7.62 battle rifles are good choices- it is just a matter of taste.

This.
I actually own one of each (minus the AR-10, but hopefully that'll be on my list after I finish moving). They each have their pro's and con's but I love each in their own way and could spend an afternoon shooting any of them. I have a PTR-91 as the G3 variant and I have never regretted it.
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12200
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:42 am

Weetabix wrote:I believe I've read that you can shoot 7.62x51 in a .308, but not .308 in a 7.62x51, if that make a difference. You should check me on that, though.


Depends on the rifle. My Saiga .308 is stamped as being OK for both, and commercial .308 (plus handloads) are primarily what I have fired through it. I am, however, growing less enamored of it due to inconsistent accuracy. One day I will show up at the range and make nice groups with it, and another I might be doing well to cover all shots with my fist. I'm probably going to gunkote it and peddle it next time a democrat is in office, and get something else. Not necessarily in that order.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 am

Well, I know a wood/fiberglass stocked M1-A fits me pretty well. No idea on the SOCOM types. My favorite and most comfortable full size rifle to shoot remains the M1 Garand, though as previously noted I'm going to have to put optics on my rifles in the not too distant future. The ARs all have scopes or red dots and those work better for me than iron sights any more, but put any of my ARs next to a Garand and I'll grab the Garand every time (unless I need to hit things many times with small bullets in a hurry).

That 7.62x51 Garand is over $1K also. I've got a ton of enbloc clips, which is a plus, but I'd need to know that the rifle can take an Ultimak or Amega mount to add optics. I'm not going to drill a Garand for a side mount or fake up an M1-D on it (I've got a real M1-D)

I need to check the shops in the area and see if any have the various rifles in stock, especially ranges that might have them to rent. Even if I can't shoot them I can handle them and see how they fit.

User avatar
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 am
Location: The Misty Mountains

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Jered » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 am

tcourtplayer wrote:This.
I actually own one of each (minus the AR-10, but hopefully that'll be on my list after I finish moving). They each have their pro's and con's but I love each in their own way and could spend an afternoon shooting any of them. I have a PTR-91 as the G3 variant and I have never regretted it.


I've owned an M1A. I currently own a FAL and a PTR-91.

They're each different.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12200
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:32 am

Rich Jordan wrote:A quality AR will probably start at $1400 (new);


Yeah that seems to be about right.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/complete-r ... s-308.html

It would also be remiss to not post a reminder of why Springfield Armory sucks goat balls:

https://bearingarms.com/david-l/2017/05 ... nois-ffls/

https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyone-b ... ld-armory/
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

User avatar
Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 am
Location: The Misty Mountains

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Jered » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:41 am

Netpackrat wrote:

It would also be remiss to not post a reminder of why Springfield Armory sucks goat balls:

https://bearingarms.com/david-l/2017/05 ... nois-ffls/

https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyone-b ... ld-armory/


I suddenly don't feel too guilty for trading my Springfield M1A for an AK any more.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

User avatar
blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8963
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby blackeagle603 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 am

Just back home from an early Thanksgiving get together with extended family. Looks like I'll be getting a give-away price on an AR-10 style lower from nephew who's got several just sitting. Of course I immediately start thinking about alternate caliber options... /heh/
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12200
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Netpackrat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:13 am

blackeagle603 wrote:Just back home from an early Thanksgiving get together with extended family. Looks like I'll be getting a give-away price on an AR-10 style lower from nephew who's got several just sitting. Of course I immediately start thinking about alternate caliber options... /heh/


If it was made by Palmetto State Armory, run far, far away.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

User avatar
First Shirt
Active Shooter
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:32 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby First Shirt » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:21 am

Rich Jordan wrote:Well, I know a wood/fiberglass stocked M1-A fits me pretty well. No idea on the SOCOM types. My favorite and most comfortable full size rifle to shoot remains the M1 Garand, though as previously noted I'm going to have to put optics on my rifles in the not too distant future. The ARs all have scopes or red dots and those work better for me than iron sights any more, but put any of my ARs next to a Garand and I'll grab the Garand every time (unless I need to hit things many times with small bullets in a hurry).

That 7.62x51 Garand is over $1K also. I've got a ton of enbloc clips, which is a plus, but I'd need to know that the rifle can take an Ultimak or Amega mount to add optics. I'm not going to drill a Garand for a side mount or fake up an M1-D on it (I've got a real M1-D)

I need to check the shops in the area and see if any have the various rifles in stock, especially ranges that might have them to rent. Even if I can't shoot them I can handle them and see how they fit.


http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

And, yes, he can install an Ultimak rail on one, as well.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 pm

blackeagle603 wrote:Just back home from an early Thanksgiving get together with extended family. Looks like I'll be getting a give-away price on an AR-10 style lower from nephew who's got several just sitting. Of course I immediately start thinking about alternate caliber options... /heh/


If you have the tools to assemble, here's one higher end option in multiple calibers from LaRue, if it will fit your lower (they have two styles). I've built two LaRue small frame uppers and I'm delighted with both of them.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Jered wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:

It would also be remiss to not post a reminder of why Springfield Armory sucks goat balls:

https://bearingarms.com/david-l/2017/05 ... nois-ffls/

https://gunstoday.com/why-is-everyone-b ... ld-armory/


I suddenly don't feel too guilty for trading my Springfield M1A for an AK any more.


I'm keeping my XD(M) but that remains a good reason to look elsewhere for an M1-A or SAR. Ditto RRA, though the one I've got I had since 2007.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:02 pm

First Shirt wrote:
http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

And, yes, he can install an Ultimak rail on one, as well.


Thanks! I'll take a look at that; as it happens I have a lot of Garand spares, including a spare receiver and trigger group.

User avatar
Vonz90
Active Shooter
Posts: 3018
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:48 pm

For the 308 vs 7.62 NATO ammo distinction, there are rifles where it can be an issue, but I actually think it is an overblown question relative to the rifle. It is most definitely not when it comes to reloading (7.62 NATO brass has about 10% less internal volume, so you have to adjust the loads down to maintain the same pressure). Certainly for the HK / G3 family, all of the manuals I have seen list both 7.62 and 308 as acceptable. I believe it the same for the M14/M1A family too, but I have not shot one in a long while so maybe not.

If you get the PTR, get one with the welded weaver rail on the receiver. The clamp on scope mounts are heavy and a pain in the rear end, the welded rail is a much better solution. I think with the rail, scope mounting on the G3 family comes in second on the list to the AR10 family, but better than the FAL/M14. Without it, I would say it is close to last. (There are other things I like about the G3 better though).

If I were to put them in my order of preference:

G3/PTR
M14/M1A (very close to the G3, I like them both)
AR10 (AR ergonomics have never felt comfortable to me)
FAL
Last edited by Vonz90 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Steamforger
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2715
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Steamforger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:04 pm

I have some trigger time on a Sig 716. I liked it very much. It was rather spendy though....

User avatar
D5CAV
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:48 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby D5CAV » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Vonz90 wrote:For the 308 vs 7.62 NATO ammo distinction, there are rifles where it can be an issue, but I actually think it is an overblown question relative to the rifle. It is most definitely not when it comes to reloading (7.62 NATO brass has about 10% less internal volume, so you have to adjust the loads down to maintain the same pressure). Certainly for the HK / G3 family, all of the manuals I have seen list both 7.62 and 308 as acceptable. I believe it the same for the M14/M1A family too, but I have not shot one in a long while so maybe not.

If you get the PTR, get one with the welded weaver rail on the receiver. The clamp on scope mounts are heavy and a pain in the rear end, the welded rail is a much better solution. I think with the rail, scope mounting on the G3 family comes in second on the list to the AR10 family, but better than the FAL/M14. Without it, I would say it is close to last. (There are other things I like about the G3 better though).

If I were to put them in my order of preference:

G3/PTR
M14/M1A (very close to the G3, I like them both)
AR10 (AR ergonomics have never felt comfortable to me)
FAL

Agree with everything Vonz says, with the following edits:
1. I would put the FAL ahead of the AR10 (AR10 magazines are all over the map, FAL is standard. FAL is more foolproof)
2. HK91s can still be found for about $2000. I put a friend on one recently. PTRs are a great price-performer, but if you can afford another $1000, go with an HK. Skip any G3 version made by Hesse or Century (ask me how I know this)
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8963
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby blackeagle603 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Netpackrat wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:Just back home from an early Thanksgiving get together with extended family. Looks like I'll be getting a give-away price on an AR-10 style lower from nephew who's got several just sitting. Of course I immediately start thinking about alternate caliber options... /heh/


If it was made by Palmetto State Armory, run far, far away.


80% lower and he's got a table top mill jigged, programmed and proven.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

User avatar
blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8963
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby blackeagle603 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:32 pm

First Shirt wrote:


"or I can install one of my special .35 Whelen barrels for $400."

Be still my beating heart.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

User avatar
HTRN
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 10676
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 am
Location: Under your bed with a knife
Contact:

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby HTRN » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Palmetto is running a sale in 308 uppers and lowers, I think they're were certain combinations in the 400 dollar range.. :ugeek: :shock:
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:43 pm

I remember reading about .35 Whelen and .35-06 M1 Garand conversions some time ago. The owners were very happy with their hunting capabilities. But I'm going to have to stick to the commons...

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks to my LaRue BuildAR membership I will soon have $1200 in LaRue gift cards that I got at a substantial discount. That might be enough to push the decision to a 7.62 AR platform; all I need is a lower and optics/mount; the cards cover the complete upper kit sans magazines in basic black. I might need another $200 to have them assemble it since I don't have any large frame tools. Thats a trade off but I don't think I'm likely to need to build another so the tools might never get used again.

Since I'm not aiming at long range mastery with a ton of milsurp rounds, I would get something like an M-308 Nikon on an Aero mount for this. Maybe one will be on sale this Friday-Monday. Got some Cabelas cards too...

rightisright
Active Shooter
Posts: 4245
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby rightisright » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 pm

I have a couple AR 10s that will soon be illegal in NJ I could sell you. :x :x :x

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12200
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Netpackrat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:23 am

Rich Jordan wrote:I remember reading about .35 Whelen and .35-06 M1 Garand conversions some time ago. The owners were very happy with their hunting capabilities. But I'm going to have to stick to the commons...


A friend of mine shot his moose with a standard M1 Garand in .30-06; it seemed to have gotten the job done for him.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

User avatar
Termite
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8699
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:32 am
Location: central Louisiana

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Termite » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 am

Rich Jordan wrote:I remember reading about .35 Whelen and .35-06 M1 Garand conversions some time ago. The owners were very happy with their hunting capabilities. But I'm going to have to stick to the commons...

The 9.3x62 Mauser, or .35 Whelen Improved, is all that can be asked of the 30-06 case.................and is quite adequate for anything in North America.
And the 9.3x62 was invented in 1905........LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."

User avatar
Gunnuts
Case Shiner
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Gunnuts » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:09 am

HTRN wrote:Palmetto is running a sale in 308 uppers and lowers, I think they're were certain combinations in the 400 dollar range.. :ugeek: :shock:


Paid $458 shipped for the one (complete upper+complete lower) I ordered from them the end of October.

Ran like a top at the range on Monday.

I just "wanted one", too. That price just can't be passed up. :D

Only caveat is that you probably don't want to mix and match parts with those unless you like troubleshooting. ;)

User avatar
Combat Controller
Superuser
Posts: 4861
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:03 am
Location: Central Texas, mostly.

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Combat Controller » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Good deal. Enjoy. I have a variety of 7.62x51's and I tend to just grab the AR10 each time due to manual of arms and weight.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 am

One of the AR option I'm looking at has a choice in barrel lengths of 16", 18" and 20" (plus whatever muzzle feature, which won't be a suppressor here in ill annoy. The M1-A I fired was a 22"; other than that all my current .30 rifles are .30-06 and 24" barrels (Garand and M1903).

Any recommendations from those who might have AR10 rifles? I imagine a 16" will be a bit of a blaster, so careful selection of a compensator/brake would be needed. I like the linear comps I have on the 5.56 and .300BO rifles but the 7.62x51 is a higher order of concussion and flash.

Thanks

User avatar
Combat Controller
Superuser
Posts: 4861
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:03 am
Location: Central Texas, mostly.

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Combat Controller » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Rich Jordan wrote:One of the AR option I'm looking at has a choice in barrel lengths of 16", 18" and 20" (plus whatever muzzle feature, which won't be a suppressor here in ill annoy. The M1-A I fired was a 22"; other than that all my current .30 rifles are .30-06 and 24" barrels (Garand and M1903).

Any recommendations from those who might have AR10 rifles? I imagine a 16" will be a bit of a blaster, so careful selection of a compensator/brake would be needed. I like the linear comps I have on the 5.56 and .300BO rifles but the 7.62x51 is a higher order of concussion and flash.

Thanks

The 16 is a bit blasty, I would say don't get under 18" so as to get decent ballistics and range out of it. I notice the bullet drop is a bit further at ranges of 300 meters. I have a a couple of 16" and while powerful and short defense and close in stalking rifles they don;t really have the optimal length barrel. 18" is supposed to be optimal but another 2" is no big deal. Longer than that and you rob it of velocity due to drag, the powder is all burned out. We ran tests with a 26" and at the end my buddy cut his down to 20". my 2 cents.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

User avatar
Vonz90
Active Shooter
Posts: 3018
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Vonz90 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm

My G3 has an 18 inch barrel and I also have a Savage bolt action with a 22 inch barrel (older pre Accu-trigger). I don't think there is too much difference between the two at least at the ranges I have used them to (say less than 200 yards). Actually the G3 groups a bit better, or at least it did back when I had it scoped; I am not quite so precise with the irons. But I had that trigger worked and it is very smooth, which is the likely difference.)

I actually would not mind a 16 inch barrel G3 with a telescoping stock. I think that would be a hoot and just fine for most of what I want to do, but that is not the way I would go if I did not already have what I have.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:31 pm

One advantage to an AR platform is the ease of changing barrels. I could buy a longer barrel now, and in a few years when we retire to a state that is suppressor friendly, get a shorter one set up for the suppressor.

User avatar
Steamforger
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2715
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Steamforger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 am

I got a call earlier this week and it hurts to even talk about it.

My old dept has a couple of M-14's that have been hanging around for a long time. They got them on the 10-33 program apparently.

A friend called whoever you call for these things and told them they could come get the M-14's back as they hadn't used them in decades.

Spoiler! :
They're coming out to torch cut them this next week.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 am

I wish that was surprising. Its a shame that they can be disassembled and the parts kit sold so only the receivers are destroyed. GI parts in very good or better shape are getting pricey and scarce.

User avatar
Combat Controller
Superuser
Posts: 4861
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:03 am
Location: Central Texas, mostly.

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Combat Controller » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Steamforger wrote:I got a call earlier this week and it hurts to even talk about it.

My old dept has a couple of M-14's that have been hanging around for a long time. They got them on the 10-33 program apparently.

A friend called whoever you call for these things and told them they could come get the M-14's back as they hadn't used them in decades.

Spoiler! :
They're coming out to torch cut them this next week.


Boo!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

User avatar
HTRN
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 10676
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 am
Location: Under your bed with a knife
Contact:

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby HTRN » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 am

Unfortunately, BATFEs policy of "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" pretty much sealed their fate.

I'd scoop up the rest of it, and ship it off to Fulton Armory. :ugeek:
Last edited by HTRN on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

User avatar
Steamforger
On a list somewhere
Posts: 2715
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Postby Steamforger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 am

I can neither confirm nor deny parts scavenging was discussed.


Return to “Guns and Shooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests