Newest Minion and Handguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt
Active Shooter

Newest Minion and Handguns

Postby First Shirt » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:51 am

So, the two elder Minions want Ruger LW SR1911 Commander length 1911's for graduation presents, in June of 2018. Not a problem, got the first one in the works, and the second one is shortly behind it.

And then, the youngest (not the littlest, despite appearances) announces that her favorite handgun is the Ruger Vaquero (old style) in .45 Colt, with bird's head grips. Her favorite load is the 300 gr. WFN bullet loaded to 900 fps, and she can shoot it almost as well as I can. (Five shots in a 6-inch circle at 25 yards). And that's her preferred graduation present (five years down the road).

That's what she wants for graduation. Should I get if for her, or try to talk her into something more practical?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix
Good Christ I Need A Life

Re: Newest Minion and Handguns

Postby Weetabix » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 am

If she still loves it then, get her what she loves. Practical will come later, but she'll think about you whenever and wherever she shoots it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:42 am

Weetabix wrote:If she still loves it then, get her what she loves. Practical will come later, but she'll think about you whenever and wherever she shoots it.

If it's truly her favorite and not just a passing fancy, I strongly agree.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Seems like it's a special occasion, right of passage purchase for you. In that case, sentiment is of primary importance. Practicallity is in the eye of the beholder (and receiver of the gift).

My old model Vaquero 45 was bought on a whim and thought of a quick profit. It showed up at a great price during a very low point in the economy. That idea went by the side quickly after a couple range trips. It will be one of the last to go if I'm forced to clean out the safe. It's a happy gun for me to shoot and one of my several kept loaded and at the ready 24/7.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

BDK
Trigger Junkie

Postby BDK » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:22 pm

If its "Old Friend" its Old Friend.

I can shoot most any handgun I've picked up, equally poorly. A stage or two and my SC times w a revolver are the same as with my open gun.

But my Single Seven feels quite special in my hands.

Proficiency is proficiency, and if you find a Single Six in 32 H&R or a Single- Seven in 327, Minion will have a good carry piece

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Oh, no! I wouldn't dare! If I gave her a .32, ANY .32, she'd probably cry her eyes out, and then never speak to me again! She wants one just like Papa's. Hey, I figure that if she's put the time and effort into learning to shoot it, even with the stout handloads, she's by-golly earned it.

It is, no kidding, her favorite handgun to shoot. She likes the 1911s, and has fun with the .22s, but when she's done messing around, she'll ask to drag that Vaquero out, after asking if I've got any of "her" loads for it. The Bisleys, not so much, the grips are just to big for her little hands, but that bird's-head grip fits her just fine, even if she does have to use her support hand's thumb to cock the hammer.

Besides which, I can see her, years down the road, living in an open-carry state, and packing that baby cannon on a regular basis, and the mental picture that calls up puts a grin on my face that you couldn't remove with a belt sander!

(I know, I know! I am such a soft touch!!!)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Sounds like you just convinced yourself. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:07 pm

The grandpa part was already convinced, just had to convince the skeptical shooter, I suppose.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

randy

Postby randy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:01 pm

At least half of a combat mindset/goblin avoidance is confidence. If she is confident in her equipment and ability to use it, it vastly decreases the likelihood that she will ever need to draw, let alone fire it outside the range.

Aware goblins will avoid her for easier pay. Unaware ones will find a need to be elsewhere when looking down the muzzle of a .45 held by someone that obviously is comfortable with it. And if they are from extreme left side of the bell curve, the rounds will hit where they do the most good because she knows the gun will function and the rounds will go where she wants them to.

Along those lines I refer to what I call the "Zen of Concealed Carry". The calm, confidence and and peace of mind that comes from knowledge of the fact that I can absolutely, positively, Mozambique the Mother Fracker if I need to.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 pm

First Shirt wrote:The grandpa part was already convinced, just had to convince the skeptical shooter, I suppose.

Sheesh. You act like she'll only ever have the one gun. :lol: Make the second one you give her the practical one.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Hey, this one will be practical! It's accurate, reliable, and you couldn't break it with a hammer. (Well, maybe if you used a big hammer.)

And even if she just carries it as a backup when hunting, or when hiking out where it gets dark-and-scary, it will serve her well. (But if the little twerp can figure out a way to carry it as her EDC piece, she will! I've got faith in her!)
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:36 pm

First Shirt wrote:The grandpa part was already convinced, just had to convince the skeptical shooter, I suppose.

First Shirt wrote:Hey, this one will be practical! It's accurate, reliable, and you couldn't break it with a hammer. (Well, maybe if you used a big hammer.)

I think we're done here. :D

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Well, now you've done it! You were supposed to talk me down from this ledge, not encourage me to jump off of it!

Got the parts on order, found a beater old-style Vaquero at a local pawn shop (I love my cousin, she always gives me a break on Minion-related projects) and will hopefully have all the parts in the same zip code in time to get them assembled into a simulacrum of a working firearm, and off to be refinished, all before Christmas! There may be a leather cross-draw holster involved, and some scrimshawed grips, as well.

And some time at the lead pot, so I can get a 100 or so (okay, 200, but that's my final offer!) bullets cast, lubed, and loaded.

Damn, Minions are a lot of work!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:42 pm

First Shirt wrote:Well, now you've done it! You were supposed to talk me down from this ledge, not encourage me to jump off of it!

We're here for you, First Shirt.

And... never ask a question you don't already know the answer to? ;)

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:45 pm

I've told The Minions: The definition of a stupid question is one where you already know the answer.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

randy

Postby randy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 pm

First Shirt wrote:Well, now you've done it! You were supposed to talk me down from this ledge, not encourage me to jump off of it!

But where's the fun in that? :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".

Rumpshot
Active Shooter

Postby Rumpshot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:58 pm

I would even volunteer to hold your beer.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Rumpshot wrote:I would even volunteer to hold your beer.

I have a host of friends. Yes, indeed, a host of friends!
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Frankingun
Trigger Junkie

Postby Frankingun » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 pm

You are raising them well.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Thank you! I think grandchildren are G-d's way of rewarding us for all the crap we went through with our kids, in which case, it was totally worth it!

Got the parts from Midway, now just have to get the beater off layaway, and start putting the whole thing together. (The scariest words in the English language: "Some assembly required.")
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:27 pm

So, I added a steel ejector-rod housing, and a bullseye ejector rod, a Belt Mountain base pin, and tweaked the front sight for windage and elevation. Groups are centered at 50 yards, and running about 4 inches when fired from a sandbag rest on a good bench.

It's about as done as it's gonna get! Hope she likes it.

birdshead (1024x768).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

randy

Postby randy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Beauty!

Greg
Probably Unemployed

Postby Greg » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:21 pm

That is pretty sweet.

blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed

Postby blackeagle603 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:47 pm

a Belt Mountain base pin,

How you like that so far? I've given it a ponder in the past but not acted on it (so many other backlogged projects). Have a couple issues with heavy loads in my 45 old Model Vaquero early one when I was playing more with heavy loads. None since I've chilled out a bit and gone mostly to shooting more traditional recipes.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:51 pm

That's a pretty standard Ruger single-action mod, especially if you're going to be shooting heavy loads. But it also helps the cylinder to index correctly, since it's about .002 oversized. I can't swear that it improves accuracy, but I think it does, a little. And it definitely keeps the base pin in place when shooting thumper loads.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

skb12172

Postby skb12172 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:23 pm

She just might be able to EDC that. Even if not, you will have immortality everytime she uses it and thinks of you. Loved the entire thread. Well Done, Gramps!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Thank you!

She tickles me with her "I can do anything the big girls do" attitude. And the only thing she's scared of is that someone, somewhere, will think she's scared of something, and Lord forgive me, I probably encourage that! So I guess this is sort of a self-inflicted injury. :lol:
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

NVGdude
Trigger Junkie

Postby NVGdude » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:32 am

First Shirt wrote:So, the two elder Minions want Ruger LW SR1911 Commander length 1911's for graduation presents, in June of 2018. Not a problem, got the first one in the works, and the second one is shortly behind it.

Really thinking that this is what I am going to buy myself for my 45th birthday in February. I'm not super keen on stainless, but it hits all the other marks. (LW frame, dovteail sights, flared rather than sharp grip safety) So very interested in your impressions.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm actually pretty impressed with Ruger's 1911s. Fit and finish is good, and they seem to be pretty reliable out of the box. I ran a couple hundred rounds through the first one, and there were a couple of misfeeds in the first 50 rounds, but after that, no worries. Of course, I stripped and cleaned it first, and used some Slipstream lubricant on the contact surfaces, which went a long way toward smoothing it out.

None of us are big fans of two-tone handguns, so I'm having the slide cera-koted to match the frame. Replacing the factory sights with night sights (XS Big Dots if I can get the right front sight), adding an ambi safety and putting slim grips on it.

I'll probably be doing the second one the same way, unless there's a major flaw in my carefully thought-out plan.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Weetabix

Postby Weetabix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:58 pm

I bought a Ruger SR1911 a while back because every man need a 1911 and you can run over Rugers with your truck.

Fun enough, but I don't think the bug bit me.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm

One of the problems with lightweight 1911s is that some hollowpoints try to dig in on the feed ramp, and the aluminum frame just doesn't stand up to that sort of beating. The Ruger LWs have a titanium feed ramp, that is apparently cast into the aluminum frame. (Ruger does a lot of work with titanium castings, making knee, hip and shoulder replacements. It's apparently quite a thing for the company.)

Anyway, for the older Minions, that was a big selling point, and more than made up for the fact that it's a two-tone gun. (Of course, that's fixable.)
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Strong work in the early purchase of that. She will be thrilled I am sure.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:30 pm

First Shirt wrote:One of the problems with lightweight 1911s is that some hollowpoints try to dig in on the feed ramp, and the aluminum frame just doesn't stand up to that sort of beating. The Ruger LWs have a titanium feed ramp, that is apparently cast into the aluminum frame. (Ruger does a lot of work with titanium castings, making knee, hip and shoulder replacements. It's apparently quite a thing for the company.)

Anyway, for the older Minions, that was a big selling point, and more than made up for the fact that it's a two-tone gun. (Of course, that's fixable.)

Or in some, a ramped barrel. My Kimber Royal Carry has that, and my Nighthawk Custom S&W 1911 is Scandium to get around that.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Only problem with a ramped barrel is that it limits your options if you decide to change/upgrade it. You have to find one with an identical ramp, which might be tricky, or find one that you can make fit.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:02 pm

First Shirt wrote:Only problem with a ramped barrel is that it limits your options if you decide to change/upgrade it. You have to find one with an identical ramp, which might be tricky, or find one that you can make fit.

I get around that by buying another 1911.

First Shirt
Active Shooter

Postby First Shirt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Combat Controller wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Only problem with a ramped barrel is that it limits your options if you decide to change/upgrade it. You have to find one with an identical ramp, which might be tricky, or find one that you can make fit.

I get around that by buying another 1911.

Well, I guess that's one way to approach it, if you can afford it! :lol:
Lindy Cooper Wisdom

Return to “Guns and Shooting”