NRA Disallows 1911s As Approved Carry Guns.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
skb12172

NRA Disallows 1911s As Approved Carry Guns.

Post by skb12172 »

Poster Boy has mangled hand. He had them permanently set it in a claw so he could still shoot dominant. Still bad trigger discipline.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... Newsletter
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Re: NRA Disallows 1911s As Approved Carry Guns.

Post by Netpackrat »

Upon hearing this news, the ghost of Jeff Cooper went into Condition Red...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Why did they do this? They don't like cocked and locked? Are there WWII vets there with the grip safety taped down?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Unclear. Some suspect capacity is the issue, since 1911 is still an accepted backup.

Once again, the NRA steps on its dick with the base.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

They don't want revolvers either, and that seems like potentially a bigger deal.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
g-man

Post by g-man »

I don't care how 'tacticool' his previous job title credentials make him, nor that he's committed / crazy enough to get the surgeons to buy into rigging up his right claw. But as a national-level safety instructor, you should be able to at least demonstrate the proper way to clear the holster, even if you don't do it under duress. If he wants to skin the smokewagon that way in his private time, so be it. But as a safety instructor? That's got all kinds of nope written all over it.

Just my dumbass $.02.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Jered

Post by Jered »

*blinks rapidly*

I've never heard anyone teach to clear a holster that way.

After seeing that picture, I have no interest in taking any NRA classes.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Wait. The picture prefacing the article. Is that a finger on the trigger before gun is on target and shooter is ready to fire?

I think I see the problem.

EDIT: Oh -- http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... urriculum/
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, they should have picked a different picture, but the guy is a Vietnam veteran whose hand was injured in a grenade explosion. When the doctors put it back together, he had them form it into that shape so he could still shoot a pistol with his right hand. Given the decades since that happened, if he still hasn't shot his own leg then I am willing to give him a free pass. Still a horrible choice of a picture to use.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

No issue with him doing what he does... but the NRA' s decision to use that particular photo, combined with the original point (1911 is disallowed as a primary weapon for this course) is further proof to me that they're too stupid to listened to. Is it a capacity thing? If so, why not allow a double-stack 1911? Gun isn't 'safe' enough? See previous point about photo evidence of basic safety fail.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum