Ruger 10mm 1911

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Jered

Re: Ruger 10mm 1911

Post by Jered »

randy wrote:The only 10mm I've fired was Chris's 1911 and it was much more pleasant to shoot than my .40 Hi Power.
I hate the .40 S&W
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Same. I shot .40 glocks and a .40 XD and didn't't like them at all. The 10mm glock I rented was much more enjoyable than the .40. Hard to describe; its like the .40 was very sharp and percussive while the more powerful 10mm pistol (same size Glock) shooting the same weight bullet at higher velocity, seemed gentler and more pleasant.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Rich Jordan wrote:Same. I shot .40 glocks and a .40 XD and didn't't like them at all. The 10mm glock I rented was much more enjoyable than the .40. Hard to describe; its like the .40 was very sharp and percussive while the more powerful 10mm pistol (same size Glock) shooting the same weight bullet at higher velocity, seemed gentler and more pleasant.
Ya know, funny enough I have always been a so/so shooter with a .40 but much better with my 10's. Y'all may recall I had a passel of them and still have a few including a new 10mm AR Pistol that takes Sten Mags (will post photos soon). I am a big fan and I load them hot. It's velocity is close to the old Norma load. Buff Bore has good loads too. But the best commercial 10mm you can buy is is still the Winchester Silver Tip, it's 175 gr running at 1290 fps.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

The Underwood looks pretty good now too. I'm going to have to get some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUAmIgR918
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

randy wrote:The only 10mm I've fired was Chris's 1911 and it was much more pleasant to shoot than my .40 Hi Power.
I have no problem at all with .40, though I understand shooting it through a 229 helps a great deal. I do prefer .357sig in the same gun, though.

I'm glad to see Ruger doing this. Like Sig coming out with a 10mm 220. I've always been interested in 10mm and like seeing it more mainstream.

Though my wishlist Witness Elite Stock I will have to wait. lol (I was recently reminded that 1911's don't work for me at all.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Combat Controller wrote:Ya know, funny enough I have always been a so/so shooter with a .40 but much better with my 10's. Y'all may recall I had a passel of them and still have a few including a new 10mm AR Pistol that takes Sten Mags (will post photos soon). I am a big fan and I load them hot. It's velocity is close to the old Norma load. Buff Bore has good loads too. But the best commercial 10mm you can buy is is still the Winchester Silver Tip, it's 175 gr running at 1290 fps.
I shot up all of my ST ammo and now carry Hornady XTP 180s. Out of my Glock 20 it actually meets it's quoted velocity spec and even exceeds it by a little bit, unlike WST, which definitely did not when I chronoed it. I recall that you got somewhat better results when you tested it, but it was basically .40SW power level for me.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Too bad this wouldn't convince CZ to make a CZ97 in 10mm.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Netpackrat wrote:
Combat Controller wrote:Ya know, funny enough I have always been a so/so shooter with a .40 but much better with my 10's. Y'all may recall I had a passel of them and still have a few including a new 10mm AR Pistol that takes Sten Mags (will post photos soon). I am a big fan and I load them hot. It's velocity is close to the old Norma load. Buff Bore has good loads too. But the best commercial 10mm you can buy is is still the Winchester Silver Tip, it's 175 gr running at 1290 fps.
I shot up all of my ST ammo and now carry Hornady XTP 180s. Out of my Glock 20 it actually meets it's quoted velocity spec and even exceeds it by a little bit, unlike WST, which definitely did not when I chronoed it. I recall that you got somewhat better results when you tested it, but it was basically .40SW power level for me.
It might be summer in Tejas heating it up and speeding it along. I like the XTP now and plan to switch over. I did see a bunch of Sig 10mm for sale at the new range in Austin, and since I started a new firearms company (Valkyrie Guns coming soon), I think I may crono some.