When does the slide start to move.....

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
randy

When does the slide start to move.....

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Re: When does the slide start to move.....

Post by Weetabix »

That guy has a rock solid grip. I see the slide, gasses, and projectile moving, but the frame and his hands don't move at all. Is there something going on there that I don't know about?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Re: When does the slide start to move.....

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote:That guy has a rock solid grip. I see the slide, gasses, and projectile moving, but the frame and his hands don't move at all. Is there something going on there that I don't know about?
I think it's probably a effect of how little time passes during those high speed shots. I.e. that the recoil pulse hasn't started to affect the shooter in that time frame?

I've noticed looking at test shots from test ranges that what you see and perceive is dependent on how fast the film was (aka how much the action is slowed down).

My two favorite examples: A late model GBU was being tested in a dual weapon drop on a truck. It looked like from real time and slightly sped up cameras that the second weapon detonated early in the air rather than on contact. The ultra high speed showed the engine block of the truck being thrown into the air by the first weapon, and second weapon striking the engine in mid-air, at which point the fuse functioned as designed.

In a test of a FAE on an aircraft shelter, the shelter simply disappeared. Not a crater, no fragments, just gone as if it had been transported out. The ultra high speed showed, in one frame only, the very top of the shelter poking out above ground. They dug down and found it and largely intact. Apparently the FAE had caused liquification of the soil at that site and had simply pushed the shelter underground, so fast that it barely showed up in one frame of the fastest camera on the test.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".