New Shooter Report and New Pistol

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
tfbncc

New Shooter Report and New Pistol

Post by tfbncc »

OK, I have a confession to make. While I have always loved firearms, I have not actually done any shooting for at least the last 15 years. A combination of being too broke to own a pistol or rifle as well as there being no ranges in the area where I live. I hang my head in shame. But, things have gotten better lately and in January I came across a pistol at the local pawn shop that caught my eye. I put it on layaway and picked it up at the beginning of February. This is the Armalite AR-24. A copy of the CZ-75B made in Turkey. Armalite imported them during the early 2000's.

The price was reasonable. $400.00. It comes with two 15 round mags, cleaning rod, and a nice hard plastic case. I've always wanted to try the CZ pistols but never had the chance. I've always been a 1911 shooter. I decided this was the next best thing. Initial impressions of the pistol: It is solid. Milled steel frame and slide, so it's no lightweight. The grip is a bit too wide for my stubby fingers and makes it a bit of a reach to get to the trigger in DA mode. SA mode is not bad. Trigger is a little mushy compared to a 1911 and that acutely curved trigger takes some getting used to compared to the relatively flat face of a 1911 trigger. Still, the gun shot extremely well and not a single malfunction during the first trip to the range. Which brings me to the second reason I bought this pistol. I wanted to teach my 25 year old son to shoot. I wanted a full size pistol with a bit of heft to help tame the recoil.

So, after picking up the pistol, we headed for the local indoor range. I put a couple of rounds through the pistol to function check that it fed and that the safety worked, etc, etc. Then I started working with my son. I was a rangemaster in the navy way back in the 1980's. I had to try and remember all the little tips and tricks to teach a new shooter. We covered the four safety rules, range safety rules and etiquette, safe handling of the pistol, sight picture, trigger squeeze, all the basics. He was an attentive listener. Once we went through all that, I told him don't really worry about being too accurate, just have fun shooting. Accuracy will come with practice. The little rat damned near outshot me.

Yeah, I know, pics or it didn't happen: His targets are on the right, mine are on the left. I was just wondering if I could still hit the target after being out of practice for so long.

First string. He did pretty good. I was suffering first shot jitters and adrenaline surge.

Second string. Geez, his group is getting tighter awful dang fast.

Third string. He moved the target from 7 yards out to 10 yards, his group opened up quite a bit.

Fourth string. Damn, he's good.

I couldn't be more proud of my kid. He did fantastic for a new shooter. Not only did he shoot well, he took to the range etiquette easily. Sweeping up our brass in between strings without being told, even sweeping the adjoining lanes so that people weren't stepping on empty cases while trying to shoot. It caught on. The shooters in the adjacent lanes started returning the favor. I think he'll do just fine.

As for the pistol, it's nice, but I think I'll being going back to a 1911. It's what I shoot the best. The AR-24 would make a grand birthday present for my son later this year.

I'm just happy that I was able to keep this promise to myself, even if I was 10 years late. Now I have to get the other spawn of my loins to the range.

Ray
Denis

Re: New Shooter Report and New Pistol

Post by Denis »

Congratulations, Ray. That is fantastic. Lucky both of you!

Well wear your new pistol. I never saw an Armalite, but I have bought several CZ 75 B's for our gun club (the price is right, as I get them police-surplus, scruffy-looking but mechanically sound), and they are a great success. Reliable, accurate and popular with the shooters. The one modification that seems to really improve them is a set of slimmer-than-factory grip - try those on yours and you'll probably find it more comfortable.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Ray,

Glad to here that things are looking up and you felt the need to buy a pistol and introduce a new shooter, your son to our very addictive sport.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Great news, and congratulations on having raised a good kid!

I have to tell you, one of the most fun things is giving one of your kids a gun. I've given several as presents over the years, and some just for the hell of it. I gave one of my daughters the pistol she used to out shoot me in a postal match. I think I've given my kids eight so far. Which reminds me, one of my daughters is due for her turn. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D