Daughter learning to shoot again

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Daughter learning to shoot again

Post by Candyman »

My daughter's little finger on her right hand had been swelling up to the point of being very painful and limiting the use of her hand. She had two surgeries to remove a tumor from the bone to no avail. The tumor would grow and split her finger open at the scar. The Dr. advised to have the finger and lower part of her hand amputated.
I told her that I could do it in my kitchen on the cutting block with my Ka-Bar, but she wouldn't hear of it and ended up paying the Dr. to do it about 10 months ago.
She has been unable to shoot her 9mm handgun and has been worried that the recoil would cause her pain. She told me that she liked the Glock 42 and wanted to know if I had one that she could try to shoot with. I told her that I would see if I could borrow one from a friend.
So the other day I meet her at the Bass Pro to do some shooting.
I lied and told her that I had borrowed the gun, when in fact, I had bought it. Little did she know that she would be shooting her Christmas present.

Here is what her hand looks like.

She was worried that she would not be able to hold the gun.

She ended up shooting about 75 rounds. With some coaching from good old Dad she was able to shoot pretty good.
We still need to work on her grip, she's shooting to the left a little.

Before we left the Bass Pro she checked the price of the Glock 42 and was not happy to see that they were almost $500.

She thinks I'm getting her a new set of pots for Christmas. Can't wait to see the look on her face when I give it to her.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Cobar

Re: Daughter learning to shoot again

Post by Cobar »

Sounds like you're gonna have a happy daughter, come Christmas.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Tumors suck. Glad whatever it was will be troubling her no more.

Also glad that compact grips seem to be so perfect for her now. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
pediem

Post by pediem »

Good for her for getting back into it. It's so hard to pick that gun back up, thinking (or knowing) that it's going to hurt to do it, even as much as you want to. And yay for Christmas presents!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I had her shoot strong hand supported then weak hand supported. Then I had her shoot strong hand unsupported. She found that even with just two fingers on the grip she did just fine. I did pick on her about not needing the Pacer grip extension. And I gave her a high four when we were done.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote:Tumors suck. Glad whatever it was will be troubling her no more.

Also glad that compact grips seem to be so perfect for her now. ;)
Yeah, that. And I always wondered what kind of hand the little .380s were designed for. Now I know.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Bless her and may she always hold "on" and with control!!
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

That's really cool. She's getting a christmas surprise :)
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I made her cry.
She was looking down when she opened the box. When she pulled the Glock box out and opened it, she started crying then jumped up and hugged me. I didn't get a chance to get a pic of the look on her face. But she was totally surprised.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Splendid! May she never need to use it in earnest. Well wear!