Ruger Mark IV

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Darrell

Ruger Mark IV

Post by Darrell »

I finally got my hands on the new Ruger Mk IV pistol while at the range tonight. I've read all the reviews and seen all the vids. .22 Plinkster did some interesting vids on the S&W Victory, then the Mk IV, then compared the two. He said good things about both, in the comparison vid he picked the Mk IV on everything but the trigger. I was shown the Mk IV target version tonight, 5.5" bull barrel (the basic gun). I read somewhere that the Target version is twice as accurate as the Hunter, owing to the different front sights; the Hunter has a fiber optic front, the Target has a conventional blade front. I did not shoot the gun, but did get to handle and dry fire it, using a snap cap. A. the gun is heavy. B. the trigger sucks. I was a bit disappointed. Hopefully Volquartsen, etc., will rectify the trigger, if they haven't already. Member price on the Target is $450. MSRP on the Hunter, slick looking stainless with fluted barrel, etc., is around $600 IIRC. Of course the big draw of the Mk IV is the new breakdown, simply push a button on the bottom rear of the receiver and the upper separates from the lower. No doubt Ruger finally came to their senses after S&W offered the single screw takedown on the Victory. The Victory beats the Ruger all to hell pricewise. I guess I'll just keep shooting my Sig Hammerli Trailside (aka Xesse) for the time being.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Old Grafton

Re: Ruger Mark IV

Post by Old Grafton »

And I'll just keep shooting my MkI and my Hi Standards...How much better is "new and improved"?
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

And I'll just keep shooting my Ruger Mark II. It's as accurate as I expect a pistol to be, and it's very useful for teaching young shooters.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Greg

Post by Greg »

Old Grafton wrote:And I'll just keep shooting my MkI and my Hi Standards...How much better is "new and improved"?
If you avoided Ruger .22's in favor of other choices because of certain unfortunate side effects of the Ruger design, this is great news. This really is new and improved, for once no bullshit.

Now if Ruger could improve the takedown and reassembly without taking away from the designs other virtues (the impressive reliability, durability and accuracy potential) then they've got a real winner on their hands.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Old Grafton wrote:And I'll just keep shooting my MkI and my Hi Standards...How much better is "new and improved"?
To be fair, a nice high standard like a supermatic, is going to be a fair bit more used, than a amrk iv new. But then, its not like they wear out, and youre not buying a half dozen of them.

My general advice to anybody looking to buy a rimfire pistol, is to bite the bullet, spend the money, and buy either a HS, or a used Smith 41 (ive heard some bad thinga about the quality of current production), or if youve got money to burn, buy a Hammerli 280.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Greg wrote:
If you avoided Ruger .22's in favor of other choices because of certain unfortunate side effects of the Ruger design, this is great news. This really is new and improved, for once no bullshit.

Now if Ruger could improve the takedown and reassembly without taking away from the designs other virtues (the impressive reliability, durability and accuracy potential) then they've got a real winner on their hands.
I understand all that; I'm not AVOIDING newer Ruger pistol Marks. I just don't personally see a need to buy another .22 Ruger pistol as the one I've had all these years works just fine and I have no problems with its design. I won't jam a Model 41 Smith or a HS Victor in a leather holster and go for a walk in rainy weather--that's what my Ruger is for. It was blue-worn when I got it and it's none the worse now. And I think my SIG Mosquito is the bee's knees since I put treble hooks and a silver spinner on it for a deepwater lure.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Old Grafton wrote:
Greg wrote:

I understand all that; I'm not AVOIDING newer Ruger pistol Marks. I just don't personally see a need to buy another .22 Ruger pistol as the one I've had all these years works just fine and I have no problems with its design. I won't jam a Model 41 Smith or a HS Victor in a leather holster and go for a walk in rainy weather--that's what my Ruger is for. It was blue-worn when I got it and it's none the worse now. And I think my SIG Mosquito is the bee's knees since I put treble hooks and a silver spinner on it for a deepwater lure.
Oh, yeah. You're right of course, it's not 'replace the old Rugers you own' level improved.

But Ruger is always looking to expand the market, and this should help with new customers.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Greg wrote:
Oh, yeah. You're right of course, it's not 'replace the old Rugers you own' level improved.

But Ruger is always looking to expand the market, and this should help with new customers.
If the takedown/reassembly's been improved it's a good thing for all new buyers, certainly. I have to say that in my many years of gunsmithing I have put a bunch of 'em back together for folks who didn't have a manual or didn't/wouldn't read it. A bunch of early Hi Standard/Colt Woodsman pistols were buggered similarly. If you have a sidelever-takedown HS and get to improperly taking it apart you can permanently stick the slide to the frame! (Unless you own a good vertical mill and are pretty crafty on setups :D ) But that's another topic.......