Should I convert my 1911?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

If I convert my 1911 what should the new caliber be?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

.38 Super
10%
9mm
5%
10mm
20%
.45ACP
35%
Some really stupid & esoteric caliber that fits
20%
Magic Browning, er Brownies
10%

Total votes: 20

SoupOrMan

Re: Should I convert my 1911?

Post by SoupOrMan »

Extractors are usually supposed to fall right out once you remove the firing pin retaining plate, right? Mine doesn't.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
BDK

Post by BDK »

No. At least on all of mine they have a bend which holds them.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

All right. I was watching a few videos on extractor removal and they seemed to just drop out via gravity when the retaining plate was removed.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I went back and took the slide off of my pistol to test the tension of the extractor. It held snap caps, spent cases and dummy rounds with just enough tension to keep the round from rattling when I shook the slide. Then I removed the extractor. There's a shiny spot at the bottom of the extractor just inside the hook end. I'm guessing that's normal wear. I tried cycling snap caps and dummy round without the extractor. I got some misfeeds and nosediving rounds, and a few spent cases didn't come out without being knocked out with a cleaning rod. I cleaned the extractor channel and found a lot of buildup. I thought the channel itself had started to pit but thankfully it turned out it was just accumulated sludge. Now that it's cleaned up I'll go shoot it again with my remaining Berry's plated round nose over 5.0ish grains of Universal and see what's what. I also have some Remington FMJ rounds over 6.3ish grains of Longshot to use as well.

I am also going to order up a new magazine from Tripp or Wilson to see if that makes any significant changes.

If I can figure out what's making this gun more unreliable than others of its kind I might be able to save some time and effort converting it.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

If it's mostly doing it on the last rounds, my suspicion is the mag springs, but a crap filled extractor can't be helping either. If the new mag helps, Wolff sells extra power 1911 mag springs for your application. I would try that before shit canning the mags.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Nose up jam = OAL too shot in my opinion. (which is exactly what I said earlier in this thread)

Load .010" shorter than will fit in your magazine. If already there, you probably need a different bullet shape.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Pardon if this has already been asked, but does the gun cycle okay with factory ammo?
Eppur si muove--Galileo
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Nope, it doesn't, Darrell. The ammo with the brass-covered bullets are from Winchester's WinClean line. It was misfeeding on those, too.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

HTRN wrote:If it's mostly doing it on the last rounds, my suspicion is the mag springs, but a crap filled extractor can't be helping either. If the new mag helps, Wolff sells extra power 1911 mag springs for your application. I would try that before shit canning the mags.
Yeah, I'm too much of a cheapskate to let mag bodies go. Followers and springs, on the other hand, are replaceable.

SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

NVGdude wrote:Nose up jam = OAL too shot in my opinion. (which is exactly what I said earlier in this thread)

Load .010" shorter than will fit in your magazine. If already there, you probably need a different bullet shape.
I've got a few loaded like that. I'll see how they run.