This may re-kindle my love affair with the .45ACP

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JAG2955

This may re-kindle my love affair with the .45ACP

Post by JAG2955 »

I bought another 1911. It was a gun that was being sold on consignment by the shop I work at. It's a Unertl Ordnance 1911. Unertal Ordnance, part of the Unertl Optics family, made some 1911s for the MEU (SOC) trials pistols (which didn't happen at the time), as well as making some targeted toward the civilian market.

It's apparently a rare bird. It's finished with a greenish Teflon-S finish, from what I can tell. They're built off of Caspian frames and slides, and supposedly have Storm Lake barrels. Mine is a bull barrel and thus bushing-less. They also have an external extractor, which is pretty neat, as well as being my preference. There's no inertial firing pin block, so I wonder if it's a titanium firing pin. (It's not, I checked)

Super sweet, short-reach trigger. It begs to be shot fast. I only put about 45 rounds through it, and concentrated on blowing the center out of a few targets at 7 yards. I'm torn between shooting the crap out of it and giving it some honest wear or saving it for special occasions.

I have a pretty low serial number, and from what I can tell, one of the previous owners replaced the sights with Trijicon HDs, which is nice, though not exactly correct, if someone is looking for a collector's piece.

Dave Spaulding, of handguncombatives.com, has a good video detailing his. Here. I emailed Dave, and he told me that he believes that less than 2,000 Unertls were ever made. Allegedly, Unertl stole a Les Baer smith to finish these.

And pic, taken with a potato:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustinR

Re: This may re-kindle my love affair with the .45ACP

Post by JustinR »

Lucky SOB...
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Denis

Post by Denis »

Lucky you. Well wear!
BDK

Post by BDK »

I suspect it's a very lovely gun. As a good 1911 has hundreds of thousands of rounds in it, I'd let it live. And should another show up, which you don't want, please post it here, pursuant to permission of the horsemen
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

JustinR wrote:Lucky SOB...
If you want to hate me more, I paid less than you'd pay for a new, run of the mill Springfield or S&W 1911. Just a little more than a standard Kimber.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

JAG2955 wrote:
If you want to hate me more, I paid less than you'd pay for a new, run of the mill Springfield or S&W 1911. Just a little more than a standard Kimber.

Grrrrrrr, being bitten by the I want bug right now.

What a nice find.

And a danger of working in a gun store .
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It's a beautiful thing. I've never been a safe queen guy, so I say shoot it for the joy it brings.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

JAG2955 wrote:
LOL, very nice man.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

JAG2955 wrote:
I'll just sit here and remind myself that I'm lucky in other ways . . . :cry:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy