How cool

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

How cool

Post by Candyman »

Stopped in at my buddy's shop to squaer up on some of the deals we have been working on and saw this sitting on his rack.

Now how cool is that. A Marlin 1894 SS in 44 Magnum, Suppressed. :lol:
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
TheArmsman

Re: How cool

Post by TheArmsman »

Dayum.... My first thought was oooooooh, wants. Did you fill out the ATF paperwork already?
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Working on it, but mine's a .45 Colt with a 12" barrel. Looks like I may have to make my own action wrench to get the barrel off, since there doesn't appear to be a pre-made one for m92 or lever guns in general.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Speaking of which, I am apparently going to have to redneck up my own action wrench in order to remove the barrel for threading, since nobody appears to make one for the lever guns. Going to be a bit of a PITA due to the way the receiver bulges out at the front, but I want to get it as far forward as possible since that's where the receiver is thickest. Briefly considered putting my biggest crescent wrench around the flat part a little further back, but that seems like a good way to tweak the frame.

Candyman, did you happen to notice what model of can was on it? That kind of looks like a Silencerco piston, so I wonder if it is an Octane .45 like I have in jail currently. I'm pretty sure it is not up to handling magnum loads, if that's what it is.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Here is a better pic of the can.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, that's an Octane 45HD like I have in NFA jail right now. I double checked, and Silencerco (who bought out SWR) has told people that they will handle full power .44 magnum out of 16" or longer barrels. With my 12" .45 Colt Ranch Hand, I am going to have to restrict myself to standard pressure/subsonic loads, even though the gun itself will handle the higher power loads.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html ... 0&t=433472

Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Loaded with .44 Special, that could be named the "HushHog".
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aesop, did you see this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXc0rm6dzVs

It's a .357, but same idea.

Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I don't know if it's art, but I like it.
I ever move to a free state, and one of those is a truck gun.
For a .45 Colt, I'd start looking at real estate sites.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

My .45 is going to be a bit more of a pain in the ass but it should still be do-able. .357 would have been the easy button since I could have had it threaded 1/2x28 and been done with it. The .45 version doesn't have enough meat in the barrel to go 5/8-24, which would allow me to use the 5/8 fixed rear cap that Silencerco makes for my can. The barrel is just a little thicker at the muzzle than a .45acp Glock barrel, so .578-28 should be doable. But since they don't make a fixed rear mount in that size, I will need to get a .578-28 piston and use a fixed barrel spacer instead.

Right now I just need to get the barrel out of the receiver so I can take it to the smith for threading. Waiting on an action wrench I ordered, that I think I can modify to work on the Rossi. I'm also going to have him drill and tap the barrel for a scout mount so I can use a red dot. Magazine tube is going to be a bit of a challenge... Because of the way the barrel bands are installed, I can't just shorten it at the receiver end. I have to shorten it enough to clear the can, but not so much that the end cap screw will interfere with the barrel band or its screw. Drilling the holes for the end cap screw just right is going to be fun.