Alternative Indexing Methods

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Submitted just as received in the e-mail to me from Suarez International

Randy Harris
Suarez International Staff

We see a lot of stuff on the web and in gun magazines about whether point shooting is better or sighted fire. Most here realize that it is not either or, but all of the above. Below is a post I made on another forum I recently joined (yeah I know what could they possibly have there that I can’t get here ). Maybe this will shed some light to some that do not yet see that there is more than one way of skinning a cat. Below is not a “comprehensive” list of all methods, just what I PERSONALLY tend to use.

I teach this also in my “AIM module” Alternative Indexing Methods”. Hmmm. maybe I need to get that copyrighted? Just kidding ! here goes.........
What I use, recommend and teach is what we refer to as the “sighting continuum”. It goes from shooting from retention as you are fending off a contact attack all the way out to using a picture perfect sight picture for making hits on distant targets at 50, 75 even 100 yards and farther. It also refers to everything in between.

Do I need to have ANY sight picture at 3 feet ? No. I don’t even have to see the gun. I shoot from the #2 position of the draw stroke with my shooting hand elbow cranked up so my rounds impact the target in the lower abdomen/pelvic area as I use my off hand to protect my head/neck and strike the BG. This is exactly what Southnarc teaches and if you use the reference points properly you can shoot in physical contact with someone and still protect yourself and not have your gun malfunction and not shoot yourself in your fending arm.

Do I NEED to have a perfect sight picture at 3 yards to shoot you in the chest? NO. Really all I NEED is to get the gun in my visual center line, project it straight at the target and MAYBE square my pelvis to the target, but that is a story for another time. I can even shoot from the #3 position of the draw (where your hands come together in the drawstroke-what we call compressed ready) and get excellent hits out to 4 or maybe 5 yards.

Do I NEED to have a perfect sight picture at 5 to 7 yards? No. I just look for the outline of the gun in my peripheral vision surrounded by the target and work the trigger.

Do I NEED to have a perfect sight picture to get good COM hits at 7 yards? NO. I just focus on the target looking OVER the gun, seeing the top of the slide somewhat peripherally.

Do I NEED to have a perfect sight picture at 7 to 10 yards? No I can just look for the front sight like a shotgun bead and work the trigger.

Do I NEED to have a perfect sight picture at 10-15 yards? Well here things start to get a little more dicey. At this distance I will usually shoot “out of the notch” looking for the front sight on top of the rear.

Do I need to have a perfect sight picture past 15 yards? Depends on the size of target, but this IS the distance where I DEFINITELY want a GOOD sight picture.
All this is easily accomplished if you grip the pistol CORRECTLY and get it lined up with the bones in your arm and project the pistol at the target in your visual centerline. This is accomplished by getting all the grip you are gonna get on it while it is in the holster, not monkeying with it as you project it. The gun muzzle goes where your eyes see and if you have the time by all means LOOK FOR THE SIGHTS. But if not, you can still make hits. If you can throw a punch and hit what you are throwing it at, you can throw a punch with a pistol in your hand and fire the shot at the extension and get EXCELLENT hits at 5 yards or less. BUT it is all dependent on your draw stroke being properly done.

Up close perfect sight pictures are not mandatory. But sometimes if we only have a small target exposed, the 5 to 7 yard shots may REQUIRE using the sights. Think about shooting at someone behind cover. Things are complex and there is not a 2 second “bumper sticker “ answer to these questions.

It really isn’t a ONE AND ONLY TRUE WAY kind of deal. It is not EITHER sights OR point shooting/threat focused shooting/instinctive shooting. It is “all of the above”.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!