DIY brass catcher I rigged up...

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

DIY brass catcher I rigged up...

Post by Netpackrat »

Thought I would post some pictures of this, since it seems to work OK:

This is just a net from the fly fishing section at Cabela's modified to mount to my lead sled rest. I cut the handle short, and found that it was hollow inside. So I took a length of 5/8" bar stock, drilled and tapped for a threaded rod made from a 1/4-20 bolt, which is installed with loctite. Then I epoxied it into the hollow handle with some 5 minute epoxy I had laying on a workbench. Drilled a couple holes in the tray for the lead sled, to provide mounting locations, where it attaches using a wing nut. I zip tied a short length of dowel inside, to hold it open somewhat.

I used it with the AK SBR on Saturday, and the AR SBR on Sunday, and it seems to work good. The occasional round will bounce out and land on the bench, and maybe roll onto the ground. But most of them stay in the net. It's a huge improvement over chasing your brass over half the rifle range, and not finding it all. Downside is that it's only usable for bench work, but that's okay. I still want to rig up a bigger catcher set up on a stand to use when shooting from positions.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop