Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
rightisright

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by rightisright »

My latest AR build was designed to be a low cost but reliable gun. All the parts have been lying around for 6 months or so. Today, work was a rain-out, so I finally got some time to put her together.
psasstainless.jpg
Specs and cost:

Palmetto State Armory Stainless midlength 1:7 twist everything but the lower kit: $379 w. free shipping.
Surplus Arms and Ammo lower: $60 including tax + $15 NICS = $75
Magpul rear MBUS: $36
Troy Claymore Muzzle Brake (folks in free states can deduct this) $55 (P.S. These things are a complete bitch to drill)
Ergo grip I had lying around: $20 ??

Total cost: $565

If you subtract the cost of the brake (and use the included A2 birdcage) and the grip, the total would be $490

Reliability: Yet to be determined. Hoping to hit the range soon. But the striped bass are running hard at the Jersey shore, so the range may have to wait. :)
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Some rifles that are actually old:

Remington made Mosin-Nagant m1891, circa 1917

(child is of 2004 vintage, seen here ~2008)

International Havester M1 Garand, circa 1954 (with Wingmaster of same vintage)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Trunk Gun
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dude's got an AYYY KAYYYY!!!!!!

Wait, what?

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Is there a rifle in that picture? I see only carpet...
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I like the AK as a cheap truck gun but I am better with AR controls under stress, it doesn't have a curved and therefore "shoot on sight" mag, etc, etc. I'm not going to war with it, if I have to get into the trunk and grab it and my body armor things have gotten hairy. Either active shooter hairy and I feel like tucking in (so there is a chance folks think I'm a cop) or "help! Help! We're all gonna die!" and then it doesn't matter.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

A LaRue-Seekins build that became my favorite, and my AR SBRs. Also, I suck at taking pictures.
randy

Post by randy »

CombatController wrote:I like the AK as a cheap truck gun but I am better with AR controls under stress, it doesn't have a curved and therefore "shoot on sight" mag, etc, etc. I'm not going to war with it, if I have to get into the trunk and grab it and my body armor things have gotten hairy. Either active shooter hairy and I feel like tucking in (so there is a chance folks think I'm a cop) or "help! Help! We're all gonna die!" and then it doesn't matter.
I ran your theory about the "shoot on sight" between an AK and an AR in this type scenario past a friend of mine in LE. He thought a second and said if he saw the AR, he would probably at least challenge you prior to opening up.

He didn't specifically state what he would do on spotting an AK, but I got the impression that shoot first, ask questions later would be the response.

(He also one time stated that he would be happy to testify as a character witness should I ever be accused of attempted murder, because he would know that the "attempted" part would be a damned lie)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

My Fathers Territorial Guard 06
CIMG0045.JPG
and my grandfathers M92 converted to 44 mag
CIMG0063.JPG
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Now, that's pretty cool!!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom