Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by Netpackrat »

Most other gun forums have this, but for some reason we never started one. I'm not sure how we've survived 7 years without one, either, but that ends today. I would appreciate it if one of the moderators would see fit to make it a sticky. If somebody else wants to make handgun and shotgun threads, that would also be way cool. If you have pictures of your rifles that you are willing to share, please consider posting them here.

I will kick it off with the AR hater's AR:

That's a 10" Aero Precision upper in 300 AAC Blackout, on a registered SBR lower from PSA. Can is an AAC SDN-6, sitting on a Blackout 51T flash hider. Hogue furniture, BCM BCG, and Bobro low profile BUIS. Scope is a Nikon M-300 BLK, but I obviously I still need to order a mount. Hoping to test fire it with the irons over the next couple days.

Edit to add: I may have to hold off on the test firing. I'd previously bought one of those fancy Giessele alignment checking rods, mostly for the AKs because you can't look down the bore to check. Ran it down the AR bore with the can installed, and while it didn't hit anything, I am not happy with the alignment AT ALL, which is nowhere near to being centered (unlike the two rifles I had done by the smith, which are near perfect). I could easily see having a baffle or end cap strike, so I guess I should contact Aero and see what they have to say.

Edit II: Yeah, no longer convinced that the Aero barrel is necessarily going to be the problem...

Since I had the alignment rod out, I double checked the CZ with the can and the alignment rod (didn't do it last night), and found it was off too, where it was centered with the previous mount. Panicked, thinking I may have somehow effed up my can, I stuck it on the Saiga .308, on which it was always tight and centered, and it was still good there.

Took the new 1/2-28 mount off the CZ, cleaned all the Rocksett off the threads and installed it again to check installation... still off. Reinstalled the original 1/2-28 mount I put on there last spring (and removed last night due to looseness), and it was still loose, but centered. Switched to the second new mount, can is tight and centered on the CZ. I'll definitely be sending the first new mount back to Midway. But the upshot is, there's potentially that much error in the individual mounts, so it could be either the AR barrel, or the 5/8-24 mount (which is the one that came with my can).

Edit III: Tried another mount on the AR, and it's definitely the barrel. Sent the upper back to Aero for diagnosis and repair.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Re: Ye Olde Rifle Picture Thread

Post by First Shirt »

Family portrait time?

Here's all my lefty long guns:
lefties2 (800x706).jpg
From the left, we have
a Ruger M-77MkIILH, in .30-06
a Savage M-11, 7mm-08 (This is a duplicate of SM#1s rifle. The Boss tried it, and said "Build me one of these.")
a Savage Scout, also 7mm-08.
a Savage M-11, 7mm-08, intended as a spare/loaner/truck gun.
a Savage Mk II, .22LR.
2 Savage Mk II, .22LR, youth models
Stag Arms M-2HL (with lefty .22LR adapter).

On top, two Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Rifles, .50 cal, flintlock. (I was going to switch one to a percussion lock, but by the time I got to it, they'd quit making them, and all the caplocks were gone.)
Last edited by First Shirt on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Some M70 CRF goodness. Three's a charm.
M70s.jpg
300 WM (90's new "classic" Super Grade)
30-06 (August '48 transition mdl)
.270 (Sep '48 transition mdl)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: I would appreciate it if one of the moderators would see fit to make it a sticky.
So let it be written!

So let it be done!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:a Savage M-11, 7mm-08 (This is a duplicate of SM#1s rifle. The Boss tried it, and said "Build me one of these."
a Savage Scout, also 7mm-08.
a Savage M-11, 7mm-08, intended as a spare/loaner/truck gun.
Thread needs more 7mm-08.

Remington Model 7, Redfield Widefield 3x9. Sadly, the barrel is too thin for threading.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

Has anybody shot a big bear with a 7mm-08, and if so what load should one have loaded for an accidental encounter?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Mostly I don't use that rifle unless at a time and place where I am unlikely to bump into a bear. It's a late season deer rifle; think Nov-Dec after they have denned up for the winter. Note that I said it's only unlikely.... Brown bears don't truly hibernate like black bears, so they will occasionally emerge during the winter to forage for food. But it's not typical. Also, the bear populations on the coastal islands (where most of Alaska's blacktail deer live) fluctuate from year to year, so some years, on some islands, the odds of encountering a bear are remote. OTOH, other islands (like Hinchinbrook, for example) are consistently lousy with brown bears. I wouldn't take that rifle on a foot hunt on Hinchinbrook.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The very best there is. :mrgreen:

Termite

Post by Termite »

toad wrote:Has anybody shot a big bear with a 7mm-08, and if so what load should one have loaded for an accidental encounter?
I would hazard a 170-175 gr bonded round nose soft point. KdT said he killed an eland with a 7x57 and that load, said the bullet penetrated over 4 ft. Eland are big, bulls average 1200 lbs+.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I don't think the twist will support those bullets. I tried 160s in the model 7, and the groups were shitty. It will group OK with 150s, but I settled on a 140 grain Nosler Accubond for a hunting load. Just need to make the time to do some hunting again. I left all my friends with boats behind in my hometown, and you pretty much need a decent sized boat to get to the deer.