GC fundraiser

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Re: GC fundraiser

Post by Weetabix »

I'll kick in every year.

If we run ads, I wonder how many people (including me) run ad blockers.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

I think we should plan on kicking in every year

A) forum ads tend to get annoying

B) I really don't know that we'd generate much, given our size. Though we do need to fix our size issues somehow.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I think that whichever option will give us the necessary legal structure with the least cost and complication is the way to go. If that's a trust, then so be it. Theoretically, in addition to avoiding any repeats of the Chris situation, we need to avoid something like happened at THR, where Oleg made the mistake of handing over the keys to somebody who proved to be untrustworthy, and then had no good way to prove in court that it wasn't his intent to just give the site to the guy (at least, that's my understanding of that situation).

So, some kind of legal structure spelling out ownership, intent, and duties would seem to be a good thing. I say the cheapest and least complicated way of doing that, because realistically this place just isn't worth a court fight... It'd be far cheaper and easier to just re-form at another site (again) in the event of an ownership dispute.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

How do co-ops work? Is that an option? Maybe they have to have customers or something, though.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

A trust should work. Selection of the trustees would beverage only place where anything bizarre could happen, and it should be pretty simple to sort - require signatures of two or more to disperse funds, etc.

If nothing else, the lawyers among us can be trustees, publicly, without raising many eyebrows, and given the consequences for attorneys, games would be unlikely.

For CC, the rest of the horsemen, it would depend on how comfortable they are public ally associating themselves w this group.

(As I recall its pretty normal for attorneys to sct as trustees for a variety of groups.)
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

BDK wrote:A trust should work. Selection of the trustees would beverage only place where anything bizarre could happen, and it should be pretty simple to sort - require signatures of two or more to disperse funds, etc.

If nothing else, the lawyers among us can be trustees, publicly, without raising many eyebrows, and given the consequences for attorneys, games would be unlikely.

For CC, the rest of the horsemen, it would depend on how comfortable they are public ally associating themselves w this group.

(As I recall its pretty normal for attorneys to sct as trustees for a variety of groups.)
I was figuring on having attorneys as the trustees. If a member wants to volunteer then that is gravy.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

Ok, I finally noticed this thread. Sent in $25 via paypal.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Thanks!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Ok folks. I have been remiss is getting this underway in a timely fashion but I was OBE. I have most of the trust done and an attorney to act as trustee so we all get to stay anonymous. Once it's all done I will post it here for comments prior to founding. The domain names and the content will be transferred over along with any further donations y'all make prior. Future donations will go straight to it. The mods will become the governing body.

Comments?
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Not my area of expertise so no comment but thank you.