gun lube

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

Re: gun lube

Post by HTRN »

Grant Cunningham has a pretty extensive article on his website about firearm lubrication, considering his reputation, I'd be inclined to take him at his word.

Short answer: Lubriplate SFL NLGI#0 for grease(about 20 bucks for a 14 ounce can). For oil, if your cheap... Dextron ATF. If you want something better performing, Lubriplate sells FMO 350 AW oil in an aerosol can for 20 bucks a can..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Do they still make STP? I haven't seen it in years. Was it really any good?

I used to mix Kroil with STP for a combination of penetration and lubrication. We'd use it on the main shaft bushings of some troublesome diecutting/embossing presses at work, it seemed to work well. The machines were the origin of the word "kludge", by the way. ;)

I've mixed Kroil with a number of other oils and greases for certain applications. We used to have a moly HP grease from Germany, about the foulest, gummiest stuff I've ever used. I'd mix it with Kroil to thin it, then paint it on some hard to reach helical gears in a large diecutting machine. Seemed to work well. As for the grease, you did not want to get it on yourself or on your clothing, it did not come off/out. Our instructor in Germany taught us a trick for using the stuff--use clean motor oil to wash it off. Pour some oil on your hands, then make a scrubbing motion as if you were washing your hands with soap, it would come right off.

As for Slipstream, I received the oil and grease as an Xmas present a couple of years ago. It works, don't know that it's really a miracle product, though. Its appearance reminds me of that nasty black German grease, moly, in other words.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:For example, modern synthetic atf is among the best particulate suspending lubricants there is.
The downside to ATF is the dye in it which can stain, and the fact that it's toxic.

I have heard that turbine oil works well, but I haven't seen any testing on it.

Another option is LSA, Sarco has it for 8 bucks a quart.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I use Breakfree CLP for cleaning, and Slipstream for lube. Several years ago, after applying a few drops of Slipstream to a pistol slide, and feeling the slide/frame friction virtually disappear after racking the slide several times to spread the lube, I was sold.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

HTRN wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:For example, modern synthetic atf is among the best particulate suspending lubricants there is.
The downside to ATF is the dye in it which can stain, and the fact that it's toxic.

I have heard that turbine oil works well, but I haven't seen any testing on it.

Another option is LSA, Sarco has it for 8 bucks a quart.
I can't imagine 2190 TEP working harder in a firearm than it already does in a steam turbine. It also does the trick on TD1 Alphas, but applying when warm yields far better results than cold.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Several years ago, after applying a few drops of Slipstream to a pistol slide, and feeling the slide/frame friction virtually disappear after racking the slide several times to spread the lube, I was sold.
word.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

I've been using Weapon Shield for God knows how many years. I got the syringe-full of the stuff when they were giving it away for free trying to drum up business, and I only use it for the manufacturer-recommended contact points of the handgun after I'm done cleaning and protecting everything. It really works nice.

Do you use that Slipstream the same way, on the contact points, or what? Sounds like good stuff.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yep, it's like Brylcreem. A little dab'll do ya.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

blackeagle603 wrote:Yep, it's like Brylcreem. A little dab'll do ya.
I'm wondering about the idea of it "building up" the nanoparticles as it claims if I really clean it in between. Let's say I use that stuff, and then after a couple of shooting sessions I use Hoppes #9 to clean it. Then I use the oil/lube again. Do they claim the nanoparticles still reside in the metal?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Mobil1 synthetic oil worked better than anything else for the floating chamber on a Colt Ace. IT worked ok for other gun oil purposes too. I've tried numerous others and ended up with Militec (got a bottle on clearance) for oil on everything else, and the Army issue lubriplate grease in the little yellow-capped tubs that fits in the M1 Garand buttstock with the cleaning kit pretty much anywhere I need grease. The Garand worked better/smoother/slicker with that basic grease than with any other grease I tried.