Stolen guns - Update: items found, prosecution pending

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Stolen guns - Update: items found, prosecution pending

Post by Netpackrat »

Glad to hear they recovered most of it... Hope he doesn't have to wait too long to get it back.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

How old are the perps?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's a shame, seeing as how they were starting to turn their lives around and all...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

Netpackrat wrote:It's a shame, seeing as how they were starting to turn their lives around and all...
I'm sure these young rapscallions were only hanging with the wrong crowd of people in between delivering meals-on-wheels to shut-ins, singing in the church choir, and tutoring classes at the local school to help disadvantaged youngsters. They really were Good Boys who were only SOCMOBing when suddenly the bag full of stolen guns & silencers was dropped at their feet by a real fleeing criminal (perhaps the infamous Sumdood), and they were going to turn it in to the authorities tomorrow morning.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Darrell wrote:Why would your friends want a high powered lawyer?
Civil damages. Klepto Thuggo's parents get to buy his friends a new car, gun vault, etc. I had a friend who had something like this happen to him...he got over $50K in damages, twenty years ago.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I wonder what the girl doing the dogsitting and hosting the party has to say? Not to mention her parents...
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Glad to hear almost everything was recovered.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Darrell wrote:I wonder what the girl doing the dogsitting and hosting the party has to say? Not to mention her parents...
"I wonder where we will live after we lose the house?"
BDK

Post by BDK »

Just an FYI, should anyone else be a victim of a crime. High-powered lawyers are, often friends/acquaintances/contributors to the local DAs and Judge.

Should the crooks have been up to something that the LEOs didn't know about/didn't know to look for, etc, it is perfectly appropriate for someone to mention it to the DA, who can then request an investigation of his own into things. The result of his investigation may alter the type of plea deals accepted, etc.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Darrell wrote:Why would your friends want a high powered lawyer? Isn't it the DA's or Federal prosecutor's job?
As Mike mentioned, they're gearing up for civil charges even after the city of Seattle gives them a slap on the wrist, as apparently they are wont to do in such cases. Detective working the case says that the courts like to let kids off for all sorts of stuff, even big shit. Hoping they manage to get them SOME time in jail, at least. The civil case afterward should make partial recompense for the lost schadenfreude, though.
skb12172 wrote:How old are the perps?
16, I believe. The girl who was housesitting is 15. They're now talking that it was gang-related, older legally-adult (18+, barely) gang members telling them to steal the stuff as either initiation or because they'd be less likely to get the full punishment when caught.
Darrell wrote:I wonder what the girl doing the dogsitting and hosting the party has to say? Not to mention her parents...
According to the victim, the girl's family lawyered up before he even got back into town. Not taking any responsibility for it, don't feel remorse or liability.

Evidently, after bringing them all in, the kids all started to roll on each other. The housesitting girl let them in for the party, then led them down to the safe so they could break it open.
BDK wrote:Just an FYI, should anyone else be a victim of a crime. High-powered lawyers are, often friends/acquaintances/contributors to the local DAs and Judge.

Should the crooks have been up to something that the LEOs didn't know about/didn't know to look for, etc, it is perfectly appropriate for someone to mention it to the DA, who can then request an investigation of his own into things. The result of his investigation may alter the type of plea deals accepted, etc.
The lawyer my friend got is a former prosecutor, well connected to the Seattle-area courts. Hoping that helps.
Chicks dig fixed bayonets