Range Report: CZ527M (7.62x39)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Range Report: CZ527M (7.62x39)

Post by Netpackrat »

Just a note that I handled one of the Yugo mini-mausers in 7.62x39 at the C-store today... No idea how well it would shoot, but there was definitely no comparison between it and the CZ in terms of overall finish and build quality. Given they were asking $450, it definitely had the feel of a $250 cheaper rifle. The stock checkering was crude by comparison, and the finish of both the wood and metal was inferior. They had a trigger lock installed, so I couldn't try the trigger, but the action didn't cycle as smoothly as the CZ, and while the safety did work in the right direction, it wasn't exactly positive in feel. The barrel profile appeared to be thinner, and I don't think it had enough meat at the muzzle for threading. No integral scope base, although it was drilled and tapped for mounts.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Netpackrat wrote:I handled one of the Yugo mini-mausers in 7.62x39...
Is it one of these - a Zastava M85? http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianp ... -rifle-m85
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Denis wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:I handled one of the Yugo mini-mausers in 7.62x39...
Is it one of these - a Zastava M85? http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianp ... -rifle-m85
That looks like it.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
thisguy41487

Post by thisguy41487 »

Netpackrat wrote:By coincidence, I just got this rifle back today:

Hey NP,

Who did the threading on your barrel? I've got a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 I'd like to couple with my Harvester 30...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Email sent.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

As I posted the other day in the "Does Not Follow" thread, I took this to the range Wednesday night, and fired a box of Federal JSP (blue box) for groups at 100 yards. The lighting conditions were horrible with the sun directly in my eyes, so that I had trouble seeing the targets, but it would appear that I have found a hunting suitable JSP load that is the equal, or at least near equal, of the Lapua FMJ. I had one 5 shot group that measured about 1-3/16", and another one that was about 1-3/8". One of those was suppressed, and the other was not. Then I had two other groups that would have been nice, but they each had one flyer that wrecked the group, but again, horrible lighting and I was having trouble seeing the targets at all. I had posted in the other thread in error, that I had 3 groups with flyers, and the one good group. Finally dug my target out of the back of my truck last night and saw that I had misremembered that.

So, I need to go back to the place where I bought the Federal ammo and see if they have any left. This was a nice surprise, because the Federal Fusion I tried didn't group worth a shit, and I haven't seen the Winchester JSP locally in over a year. The higher grade 7.62x39 seems to have been almost entirely displaced by 300 blackout on the shelves, at least around here.

Edit to add; no further misfeeds since discontinuing use of the original mag, and it hasn't misfired either, since I reported that it stopped last year. I guess a combination of having increased the preload on the firing pin spring, plus more break in time did the trick. I still need to contact CZ about replacing the original mag, but I did buy another replacement, and it works fine too, so at least I have two functional magazines for it. I'm getting to be pretty happy with this rifle again, but it shouldn't have had the problems to begin with.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dragged the camera out to the shop, took a picture of the best group from last week. As FPSRussia would say, "Now this is what the fuck I am talking about."

Denis

Post by Denis »

Splendid. I get results like that with mine and quality boxer-primed, brass-cased Sellier & Bellot 7.62x39 ammunition. Of course, I have yet to meet a Brno / CZ rifle that didn't like S&B - that is what they are made for and factory-tested with, after all. The only problem I have is that it is hard to find the S&B softpoint factory loads here, so I buy the factory FMJ and replace the bullets with the S&B softpoints (which I can get easily).

This reminds me that I have a new low-swept bolt handle for one of my 527s, that needs fitting.

Happy shooting!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Did some chrony testing with the CZ today; not trying for accuracy, just lobbing handloads across the screens. Looks like I am going to need to switch primers... I thought I had put the misfire problem to bed, but had lots of second (and even a few third) strikes required to ignite the CCI large rifle primers. Which is annoying since I use CCI primers for nearly everything, and not sure what the availability of an alternative will be right now. Kind of moot since going to the LGS not really worth the risk of exposure right now, and 7.62x39 handloads are kind of a low priority.

Edit to add; fired both the CZ and the Rem model 7 300blk I built from a bare action today and the difference between the two is striking. Compared to the Remington, the CZ is buttery smooth to operate, so it's too bad about the issues I have had to chase down with it. Of course, the Remington hasn't been completely trouble free either (mostly feeding issues) so there's that.