3d printed metal gun.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Jered

3d printed metal gun.

Post by Jered »

Someone did it.

Your gun control argument is invalid.

8-)
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Aglifter

Re: 3d printed metal gun.

Post by Aglifter »

Very cool - not for guns as much as potential for manufacturing - I'm guessing this is, essentially a very controlled MIM process?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
free_me

Post by free_me »

Printed a barrel and breech? I call bullshit.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

If defense distributed could do it with the polymer .380 3D liberator why couldn't these folks do it with steel?
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

The digitized CNC files for .50BMG side plates and battle rifle autosears have just become a commodity industry.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Regulations on laser sintering processes in 3-2-1
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

cf. Restraining Orders and Speed Limits, Functional Effectiveness Of
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
BloodlessWeevil

Post by BloodlessWeevil »

Am I the only person who does not consider laser sintering to be 3D printing? Semantics aside, this is just a gun made using sintered parts. Sintering is not new, but to my knowledge is not widely used in the firearm industry. I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a reason for this.
"I'm not in charge. I'm just goofing around." -Weetabix
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Cost, most likely - I don't think this type of manufacturing would really work well with larger runs, especially as cheap as milling centers have gotten.

I think SIG's NA plant has 4, which cost $60k each.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aesop wrote:The digitized CNC files for .50BMG side plates and battle rifle autosears have just become a commodity industry.
Sure, just go out and buy a half million dollar laser sintering machine.. :roll:

A used "Crapport" or one of their knockoffs can be had for two grand, with R8 tooling being made by everyone and their chinese cousin.
MarkD wrote:Regulations on laser sintering processes in 3-2-1
There are no regulations on Knee mills, lathes or grinders, and these turn out far more guns than a bleeding edge piece of manufacturing equipment that costs as much as a nice house.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt