An ongoing recruitment

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Greg

An ongoing recruitment

Post by Greg »

I have an old friend from school who's from Chicago and lives there currently (family reasons). She's smart, leans libertarian and has shown some interest in guns but has had very little chance (once or twice ever) to go shooting.

She visited this weekend, and I took her shooting today. She loved it. :D

She's naturally left-handed and left eye dominant, but does most things right-handed because that's the way she was forced to learn. The last time she visited we talked about guns, I showed her some of mine... and for the first time ever she tried holding one left-handed and it was a revelation for her.

This time when she visited we had time for a range trip. We had my 617 and my 686. The only things she'd ever fired before we some kind of very light weight .22 semi and a Beretta 92. She didn't like the .22 because it was 'too light' and felt like a toy. She liked the Beretta. I wanted to give her time on a .22 but it had to have some heft. 617 is good for that. :)

We had our safety drill (someone had taught her that pretty well) then off we went. She started off a little rough on the 617, but she was having issues with the sights (using them wrong). Even then she was on the paper but way high at 20 ft. After a reminder on how the sights worked, she was pretty good.

She was interested in feeling something with a little recoil, so after a while we switched to the 686. I had 158 gr Lawman 38sp practice ammo. The first round surprised her a little, but she loved it. And she was more accurate with the 686 then the 617. Probably because the trigger is better (lighter) but she was delighted.

She was having so much fun with that, I let her switch to .357 for a cylinder. I brought a box of 125gr Gold Dots, in case she seemed ready. After the first one, she was startled but smiling. She told me "I don't need to do any more of those", but she was willing to try a couple more. After 2 more, she was still smiling but her arm was tired. I finished off the cylinder, it was fun. She kept 2 of her targets.

On the way to and from the range in the car, we talked about gun laws. As I said she leans libertarian by personality, but is fairly politically naive (she gets her news from the MSM and takes it largely at face value). She asked some astute questions, and pretty much came to the conclusion that gun laws, as written, are so stupid and useless for their stated purpose (restricting crime and increasing public safety) that the ONLY thing that made sense was that they really were intended to restrict freedom and increase government power and control.

Oh and I almost forgot, walking back to the car from the range she was telling me that people were stupid and the only reason anyone was afraid of guns was just because they were unfamiliar with them. (Way too loud, this is NJ and a bunch of people were listening to us- yes she's more than a bit of an Aspie - but it was worth it.) And now she is set on owning guns of her own. Living inside Chicago city limits and everything.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr