Lost My Mind! Somebody Stop Me! (Update, Range Report)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
308Mike

Re: Lost My Mind! Somebody Stop Me!

Post by 308Mike »

We *MIGHT* start getting some ammo in (at our local Scum-mart) for those of us who aren't into waking up at 0500 just to get a few boxes of M2 Ball (.30-06), 7.62mm NATO or even .308 Win., 5.56mm - and I'm now starting to have trouble getting my hands on 12-GA ammo!!!!!

I'll start feeling MUCH better when the local Wal-Mart starts putting all their local AMMO stock out there for sale - AND THERE'S ACTUALLY SOMETHING TO BUY!!! No more buying only a couple of boxes, EVEN IF YOU ARE GOING TO A FIREARMS TRAINING CLASS, and you NEED 600 rounds of ammo!!!

I'll be DAMNED HAPPY when the AMMO HOARDING ends!! :P :P :P :P
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dub_James wrote:Now if they could just get some AK trunnions at $40 bucks or so....
At Sporty's? Not likely. APEX Gun Parts currently has Egyptian AKM trunnions for $75. And they have various 5.45 and 5.56 trunnions for about $100 each. Of course, a few years ago, you could buy an entire parts kit for that amount. Been piecing together stuff to make a couple more builds with the last of my leftovers, and the current cost is discouraging.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Let us all now learn the second of two lessons courtesy of just-in-time supply chains.
If you don't stock up for good, once there's a lull in the panic, you're either broke or nuts.

I've been sitting on a decent stock, having begun after the first go-round in 2008 evened out.
Once things settle down again, I'll resume stocking the ammo pantry.

Which, until the current douche departs the White House, means that paydays mean you buy at least a sack of canned goods, and a sack of cartridges, for toughter times.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Visited Cabela's on Tuesday. Bought a wooden Cabela's labeled brick of Winchester Super X .22 ammo. There were two shelves of them. $29.95. Limit one box.

Over the weekend at the evil loophole gunshow the identical brick was labeled $100.00. A box 100 of Winchester whitebox 9mm was priced at $30 up to $50.

Gun shows are still being silly, but there is more ammo available locally now than there has been in quite a while.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Erik

Post by Erik »

Just got word that 9mm is available in the country again, a few weeks back there weren't any to be found anywhere.
And I hope the situation is getting better with other things as well, I've just signed up as interested to buy a .22 conversion upper, whenever they start shipping them here again. Last I heard was that they would do so "hopefully soon".
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Denis

Post by Denis »

Rumpshot wrote:Bought a wooden Cabela's labeled brick of Winchester Super X .22 ammo. There were two shelves of them. $29.95. Limit one box.

Over the weekend at the evil loophole gunshow the identical brick was labeled $100.00.
I paid EUR 100 (say US$130) for two bricks of RWS .22 rifle match a few weeks ago, so $100 is gouging, and I'd be delighted to get .22 for the equivalent of US$30 a brick!
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Erik wrote:Just got word that 9mm is available in the country again, a few weeks back there weren't any to be found anywhere.
Is it mostly European-made ammunition available over there, or do you have to rely on American ammunition supplies and availability as much as we do?
Chicks dig fixed bayonets
Denis

Post by Denis »

Aegis wrote:
Erik wrote:Just got word that 9mm is available in the country again, a few weeks back there weren't any to be found anywhere.
Is it mostly European-made ammunition available over there, or do you have to rely on American ammunition supplies and availability as much as we do?
I don't know about Sweden, but here in Belgium, the handgun ammunition I see for sale is mostly European (Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, Geco), but there is more of a mix of European and US production in long-gun ammunition, including .22lr, for some reason. The prevalence of Fiocchi here may have something to do with the fact that, IIRC, it is produced here by the FN under license.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have no idea why, but the most common brand here for centerfire handgun ammo is MagTech. And some russian brands like Bernaul is usually available, but I tend to avoid that if possible. I know Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi can be found, but I don't know any store that has it in large quantity, so when I stock up it's pretty much limited to MagTech or Bernaul.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Erik wrote:I have no idea why, but the most common brand here for centerfire handgun ammo is MagTech.
Ugh. Worst brass ever. Although, I've been throwing all Fiocchi brass that I find straight in the trash, since it doesn't like to fit into the shellplates of my Dillon press. I have found that the "GFL" (Fiocchi) headstamp actually stands for "Good Fucking Luck!"
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop