Improving on the 3d printed lower

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
FastRope71

Improving on the 3d printed lower

Post by FastRope71 »

I'd be interested in hearing your ideas on improving the design of the AR15 lowers for 3d printers.

Here's my idea:
The weak point seems to be the strength in the thin area of the receiver where the buffer tube connects.
My thinking is that there is no need to use the same dimensions currently used. Make the area thicker, and extend the supported area further back. this will require either a longer rear pin detent spring and, possibly, a different method of attaching the plate that hold the spring and detent pin in place, but that could easily be accomplished by drilling a hole in the plate and a screw. additionally you could use a set screw from the side or bottom and a shallow divot in the tube to prevent the buffer tube from rotating. These changes would amount to a minimal change in the design and would only change a few of the parts, used. What say you guys?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
Yogimus

Re: Improving on the 3d printed lower

Post by Yogimus »

Yea that front pin sustains most of the force. It COULD be made "fatter"...
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

Hmmmm.....

Yeah, I guess there isn't much to be done to fix that other than improving the material. I suppose a longer pin and making it fatter as Yogi suggested is as far as one could go within the confines of 3d printing. if you changed the disassembly of the rifle to eliminate the tilt of the upper receiver, you might be able to reinforce the area better. That's kind of a stretch, though. I doubt it would result in any substantial improvement.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

What is the price differential between a mini mill and a 3D printer ? you can mill an AR-15 lower from an 80% casting. Or you can fabricate one. Plenty of blueprints out there.
I'm not sure why the 3D printing thing has captured so many peoples imaginations. Hipsters I guess - they seem to have inherited the spirit of the 'Anarchist Cookbook' ( AKA the blind leading the blind )

And why the AR-15 ? if you want a resistance weapon then look at the Sten, it's a crude piece of shit but it got the job done.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
randy

Post by randy »

I think part of the hype is the how much the idea of peasants printing weapons is causing the anti-civil rights crowds to wet their pants.

A printer is something they understand as opposed to a mill, stamping press, etc. Buy a "printer", download the blueprints, and someone with no knowledge of fabrication techniques can make a useable weapon (according to the press). It's so simple that even an idiot like Feinstein or Biden could do it.

No choke points at FFL dealers. Done in the privacy of your home with no interaction that could be spotted and tracked until it's "too late".

And to them the AR-15 is the poster child of evil weapons. Most them wouldn't recognize the word "Sten", nor know it's production history (Dutch bicycle shops, etc).

I figure it's a meme that's worth encouraging just because of who it's pissing off/freaking out. Personally I'd have more faith in a Sten than the current crop of printed weapons, but I'm a traditionalist. ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I agree Randy. I'm an old school file and hacksaw guy though.

Edit - there were leaflets detailing how to covertly make the Sten dropped into occupied Europe for the resistance guys. I have never seen one of those and I would love to get a copy. Just for historical ( and machinist nerd reasons ) , I have the Sten blueprints already.
Last edited by Highspeed on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Jered

Post by Jered »

randy wrote:I think part of the hype is the how much the idea of peasants printing weapons is causing the anti-civil rights crowds to wet their pants.
It's awesome because of this.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

You listed the reason for 3d printed weapons. I'd like to add my thought. The AR platform is nice in this regard because the barrel uses an extension that the bolt locks to, this takes the stress of firing. So what is needed is to come up with a rifle design using the AR barrel with extension and bolt where nearly everything else is printed in plastic, ideally semi auto and bonus for using AR mags. That would really cause some serious gnashing of teeth.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

It's not an exact correlation but the printed weapons immediately brought to mind A.E. van Voght's "Weapon Shops of Isher". The whole concept gives liberals the fantods.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Based on their latest video, it does appear that they have in fact added material in the rear of the receiver, just below the buffer tube.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult