Shotgun Dummy Rounds for Practice/Ghost Ring sights?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JAG2955

Shotgun Dummy Rounds for Practice/Ghost Ring sights?

Post by JAG2955 »

So I've been practicing with my newly built tactical Remington 870 (aka, the Joe Biden Special). I've been using some A-Zoom aluminum snap caps for loading drills, and they're wearing out to the point of causing double-feeds regularly. The rims are getting fairly chopped up, and as much fun as it is to practice clearing double-feeds, I'd like to get some new dummy rounds that won't die so quick.

Anyone have experience with these?

Also, my magazine extension/bayonet lug :twisted: should get here soon.

Second question: The Joe Biden Special currently wears an 18.5" barrel with a bead on a pedestal. I'm thinking a ghost ring setup. Anyone have any preferred ones?
Current candidates are:
Vang Comp rear (Front Sight on same page)
LPA rear sight
HiViz front sight
LPA front sight
Trijicon set
Highspeed

Re: Shotgun Dummy Rounds for Practice/Ghost Ring sights?

Post by Highspeed »

Aluminium rim snap caps seem to wear out really quickly. I have worked on side-by-sides that had been jammed closed by worn aluminium rims.

Just for once my vote is for plastic, they really seem to hold up a lot better. Was what I always used.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I bought some of these, but I haven't done much with them. They seem okay but are pretty light. Three 175 grain 10mm bullets will fit down the center hole, and bring them to almost the exact weight of a round of 2-3/4" 00 buckshot. I just need to get around to epoxying them in there so I can use them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Thoughts on ghost ring sights for a tactical shotty anyone? I'm thinking of going with the ghost rings because then both my iron-sighted rifles and my shotgun will use an aperture sight. I've used them on the M1014 shotgun, and liked them quite a bit. Maybe not as fast as a bead, but much more precise when it comes to 25-50 yards.
Denis

Post by Denis »

JAG2955 wrote:Thoughts on ghost ring sights for a tactical shotty anyone?
I don't know much about "tactical", but I do have a Remington 870 with a slug barrel and rifle-style sights. To me it is just crying out for a ghost-ring rear sight.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have a ghost ring on my S-12 and I like it a lot.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop