It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: 7.62x25 Tokarev chambered pistols
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 pm 
Trigger Junkie

Some years ago I took a one day course with an instructor who was a huge fan of the 7.62x25 Tokarev. It piqued my interest enough that I started reading up on them, and bought some ammo while it was cheap (not a lot, < 400 rounds). Life got in the way so I never bought a pistol. At the time the choices were between the CZ52 and the TT33 type.

More recently a Zastava M57 pistol was imported and it appears they are available even now, though surplus ammo pretty much dried up and commercial stuff is expensive and out of stock. The M57 seemed to be getting good reviews, relative to the CZ52 and TT33 but I've never handled or shot any of them except finding out I didn't care for the CZ52's grip at a gun show once.

Anyone here have experience with one or more of these pistols and care to share plusses and minuses on them? I'm not sure I'll be getting one now but since I do have some ammo for them, (and may have some other ammo to sell or trade to finance it) I'd like to do the research.

Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: 7.62x25 Tokarev chambered pistols
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:08 pm 
Probably Unemployed

Be careful with the <400 rounds that you already have... A lot of the surplus ammo is not suitable for pistols. It's generally meant for open bolt subguns, and some of it is quite hot. The stuff I bought when I first got my CZ-52 had very hard primers that would often not fire without a second strike. Since that time, I have only fired Winchester White Box or handloads in it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:28 pm 
Trigger Junkie

Thanks, I'll see if I can ID the stuff (its all the same make, 70 round packs). Hopefully I got the usable stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm 
Probably Unemployed

I saw a website not long ago with ID information for the various flavors of surplus, and which ones are suitable for pistol use. I didn't save the URL because I was looking for reloading information for x25 instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 pm 
Active Shooter

I have an M57, it's actually a decent pistol. It's basically a 33 with a longer mag and grip, holds one more round. Prvi is all I've shot with it. I've wondered if the barrel bushing might be a bit oversize--the first shot on target is dead on, then groups open up a bit. We had a thread about this a while back, the gun supposedly has some similarities to the 1911. I thought I saw somewhere that someone was importing new manufacture M57s by Zastava. That might be worthwhile if true.

I'd considered getting one of those PPs 43 "pistols" that IOI is/was importing, then the surplus ammo dried up. I've since read that many of those guns had problems.

Attributed to Vladimir Putin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 am 
Trigger Junkie

Well I know a CZ52 is out just because of how it fits my hand. Cabelas had the M57s a while ago, but I was unable to get to the store at the time (and been too busy since to find out if they still have them). Some online places do still list them as in stock for < $300 (I think they were in the $179-199 range on sale at Cabelas in 2011).

I'll try to locate the ammo info online and see what it is I have; if its the subgun stuff and the TT33 or M57 should not use it then I expect I'll just drop it altogether.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 am 
Trigger Junkie

Found Darrell's thread on his M57: Here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:49 am 
Probably Unemployed

You know what would be nifty?

A CZ 527 setup for 7.62 TOK with an AICS DBM. Use 125 grn Speer TNTs. Would make a nifty Suppressor host too.

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:20 am 
Good Christ I Need A Life

You can use 7.62 Mauser in a 7.62 Tok pistol.

and cover you over with dirt and rocks.
-H.M. Murdock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:46 am 
Active Shooter

Jered wrote:

But going the other way is not recommended. What I wanted to do with my CZ-52 (Before these barrels vanished from the face of the Earth... :evil: ) was to get one of the 9x19mm barrels & have it rechambered for .38 Super. .38 Sup fits the CZ's magazine better than the 9mm, and the pressures are within the acceptable limits for the gun.

"Non facete nobis calcitrare vestrum perinæum." - Bungie corporate motto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Probably Unemployed

Cybrludite wrote:
Jered wrote:

But going the other way is not recommended. What I wanted to do with my CZ-52 (Before these barrels vanished from the face of the Earth... :evil: ) was to get one of the 9x19mm barrels & have it rechambered for .38 Super. .38 Sup fits the CZ's magazine better than the 9mm, and the pressures are within the acceptable limits for the gun.

Actually, that's not a half bad idea... I've got one of those barrels that has been sitting in my safe since the one and only time I took it to the range, and found it to be unreliable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
Good Christ I Need A Life

Has anyone tried the .22 Reed conversion on their CZ 52?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 pm 
Case Shiner

Cybrludite wrote:
Jered wrote:

Once upon a time, I had two 1896 Mauser Military pistols that were surplused from the Turkish Army. The ammunition specified was 7.63 Mauser and what I got when I ordered it was 7.62 Tokarev. It worked fine; I fired more than a hundred rounds through the old broomhandles without a mishap. I bought the brooms when they were cheap ($150) and traded them both for a Ruger Super Blackhawk and holster rig.

I had always heard that the Bolsheviks liked the 1896 Mauser because they could stick the thin barrel through tiny loopholes in their barricades. Later, the Tokarev TT-33 was made to chamber the same round.

That is the legend, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 am 
Trigger Junkie

Can't upload pics right now; mindspring is being recalcitrant.

The ammo is in 70 round boxes, is bright brass cased, three 'dot' crimps at the neck, red primer sealer. Headstamp is cyrillic, looks like lowercase 'n' lowercase 'r' (wife says pg, "peh geh") 1966.

Label says (more or less, x replacing furrin characters)

70 KOMAxA
METAKA TT-7.62mm
3A IIxIIITOJb AxTOMAT
IIx 65111
EAPYT HII - 03 MEJI 6443

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:37 am 
Probably Unemployed

This is not the site I found earlier that told which surplus ammo is safe for pistols, but it has a lot of good info anyway:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 134&t=5421

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:52 am 
Trigger Junkie

Yugoslavian; no idea yet if its the overpressure stuff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:24 am 
Probably Unemployed

Cybrludite wrote:
Jered wrote:

On second thought Cybr, I would perhaps be interested in selling my 9mm CZ-52 barrel. The whole appeal to me was to be able to shoot something in that pistol that was relatively cheap and more widely available than x25, and the Super really isn't the answer to my way of thinking. I bought the barrel new, and installed a roller cam and new rollers from Apex on it, and then put 100 rounds through it before putting it in a ziploc bag in my safe. Make me an offer if you are interested. I'd rather see it doing something useful for somebody, than sitting here.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]