How long dang nabbit.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
toad

How long dang nabbit.

Post by toad »

Well right now due to physical, mental, and financial problems I'm not in the market to purchase a firearm. I still read about them occasionally and I developed an interest in the Glock 30S. It has the Glock 36 Slide on a 30 frame. This gives you 10 + 1 .45acp, the back strap selection, and a lower bore axis and etc. So I looked up pricing and availability. Not surprised really, $200 over sugested MSRP when available seems typical. Is this the way it is going to be for the four years?
Langenator

Re: How long dang nabbit.

Post by Langenator »

Totally unconfirmed internet rumor, but you can wander over to Borepatch's blog to check it...

Borepatch lives in GA, and apparently bumped into someone who works in Glock's marketing department. Glock employee said that right now, Glock has orders for 1.2 million pistols.

They're running the assembly lines at full capacity, and are making 30,000 a month at their US factory, and 100,000 at their other factories overseas (which are shipped here in parts, and then assembled, to save on import taxes).

Do the math, and that's 9-10 months of backorder.

Now, where the demand level will settle, long term is anyone's guess. Tough to say whether this will increase the demand long term, or whether the panic just shifted a bunch of purchases forward, and demand will actually drop for a while (once all the backorders are filled) before settling back somewhere near the previous normal.

On the political front, I think some clear, definitive action by the House rejecting any new gun control would help calm the panic buying some, as would the GOP taking over the Senate in the 2014 elections. But I think demand will remain elevated until BHO leaves office, at least.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I think some of this is genuine increased demand, rather than panic - every gun club I know of, now, has a waiting list stretching into years. (Ones that I joined fairly easily, in W's era.)

The problem is, if the new shooters cannot find a place to shoot, or something to shoot, we will lose them to other hobbies.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Aglifter wrote:The problem is, if the new shooters cannot find a place to shoot, or something to shoot, we will lose them to other hobbies.
I've always had good luck with public lands (with the caveat that you have to find a good spot first, which may take some time)
Chicks dig fixed bayonets