Gun Test Magazine

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
4merUSMCinSC

Gun Test Magazine

Post by 4merUSMCinSC »

Any opinions on whether the mag is worth the price?
George K

Re: Gun Test Magazine

Post by George K »

I used to get it a few years back. Pretty good info, but some of their reviews seemed off base to me (based on seeing or owning the make/model they were talking about). The good thing was that they were not afraid to speak ill of a gun (unlike G&A) because they did not have advertisers to keep happy.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

They test off-the-shelf stuff, and if something sucks, they'll tell you it sucks. No kissing up to advertisers.

The flip side is that some of the evaluation is subjective, and you know what they say about opinions.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

It's a decent mag. The thing I don't like is their tendency to evaluate whatever they have handy...apples to oranges comparisons are frequent.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

I have a subscription, and I don't regret it. The honesty is refreshing.

SA
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Like everything in the gun world, take their opinions with a grain of salt, especially when they go apples to oranges or use something outside of it's intended use. I had a subscription years ago. They reviewed the Speedfeed shotgun stock. It's set up for right-handers, with the shotshell feeding doohickey on the top right of the stock. They overall liked it, but they had a lefty shoot it, and of course he got a weird bruise on his left cheek, and dinged it for that.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Their sister publication, Practical Sailor, is a great magazine. I had a Gun Tests subscription, and let it lapse -- their testing isn't anything you can't find on the enet, and seems to just consist, mostly, of their opinion.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

Aglifter wrote:I had a Gun Tests subscription, and let it lapse -- their testing isn't anything you can't find on the enet, and seems to just consist, mostly, of their opinion.
Likewise. One I remember in preticular was their review of the Saiga-12. Whoever stripped the thing prior to the test didn't latch the top cover correctly, and it came off when they first shot it. End of test, end of discussion, "do not buy" rating. :roll:
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

I liked it, but it wasn't worth the cost because I can't ever afford guns.
:evil:
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Realistically not a bad rag.

They were the first to "publish" the .40 caliber polygonal rifling/lead bullet problem with testing in which they went and blew up a second G-22(23?) to prove what had happened. I must dig up that issue.

I dropped my subscription because of all the apples to oranges comparisons. They put a $100 gun against a $1000 one and pick apart the differences.
Either match the price or quality and go from there or the opinion isn't realistically valid.