Remington 514 project rifle.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Remington 514 project rifle.

Post by Candyman »

Here's the little 514 I picked up for $30. The stock looked like crap and the barrel wes bent.

While I was on the look for a replacement barrel, I started working on the stock.
At first I thought that I would find some nice Walnut under the old finish, but it was Beech with a bad spot on the left side of the forearm. I think that just a little too much bug spray got on it.

It cleaned up pertty good after a light sanding, but had a few stains that went pertty deep into the wood.

To help hide the stains in the wood and to make it look more like Walnut, I went with Chestnut Ridge Military Stock Stain. It's an alcohol base stain and works great on hard wood stock when you want to get some color.

Here it is after I stained it and applied a few coats of BLO.

Then a wax top coat was applied.

I found a barrel at Lee's Gun Parts in TX. for $35.
So for just under $80 and a little work, I am pertty happy with this little rifle.

I did have to make a repair to the butt plate. It was chipped and dirty.

I cleaned it up.

I used masking tape to make a dam to hold the Acraglas in place.

I then dressed it up with hand files and my belt sander.

I would have to say that it turned out nice. :D
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Fivetoes

Re: Reington 514 project rifle.

Post by Fivetoes »

Had one as a youth, nice safe gun for a boy to head over the hill with and spend an afternoon. The way the barrel was bent I am surprised the receiver wasn't damaged.
Precision

Post by Precision »

another beautiful restoration. Even the GF took notice.

Well done.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

That is some beautiful work there. The rebuild of the buttplate with Acraglas really impressed me. It looks more like a scuffed part of the original plate than a repair.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

The stock looked like crap and the barrel was bent.
:lol:

Some famous guy said:
"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from Magic."

Or to paraphrase:

"Firearms restoring skill, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from Magic."

:shock:
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?