Poll for the members

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.

Gun Counter Tip Jar for shooty goodness?

Yes! I want to tithe your mighty site!
62%
No! Are you nuts? Let's stay commercial free!
5%
Magic Brownies?
33%

Total votes: 42

Combat Controller
Site Admin

Poll for the members

Post by Combat Controller »

Ok, now that the year is slowing down a bit for me, I was wondering what you all thought about an idea I had.

How about a tip jar for the Gun Counter? Fast Rope and I are building a Box of Truth and plan on many experiments for your edification but perhaps a tip jar might help us all out on ammo, water, wood, gas etc. Even exotic guns! We may do some rifle round catching with the old coffee can method. I figure since I ran afoul of the IRS recently I am going to have to curtail too much extra gunny spending but I want to do these experiments anyway. It has been many years (this is the third forum) since my last rash of data collection, and Kim's old sight ate most of the older ones anyway.

So, if you want to pitch in for laughs or have an experiment you really want tried then you can donate.

Or... Is it one of those things that will dilute our commercial free zone attitude? None of the money will go to hosting, I have that covered, this is more for buying stuff we are either going to shoot or shoot at. Let me know what you all think, I can go either way, but I was prevailed upon to at least ask you all rather than not do it at all.

So, tip jar?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Weetabix

Re: Poll for the members

Post by Weetabix »

I had to be honest and vote for the brownies. I like the idea of giving you gobs of money to turn into noise and giggles but I have to acknowledge that the kids need shoes, too. If you had a tip jar, I'd kick in a bit occasionally. I've kicked in on other thing here and there, but it's not been regular.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

While I can't afford a tithe, I'm always willing to kick in a buck or two.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

If you're willing to work on a "what I can, when I can" basis, I'd be willing to kick in some.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Let me be crystal clear on this. IF we put up a tip jar it will be totally optional and the money would go to shooting things not hosting the site. Perhaps even getting some private bays for the next Shooting Fiesta in March which will be the third annual IIRC.

This is just an idea, we may not even do it, but if you guys think it is a good one, let your fingers do the walking. I even made the poll so you could change your mind.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Count me in for some money every so often. Theirs this thing I always wanted to try with a plastic water tank, wondering how well it would work for cover, and some others, so I would definably fund some of your fun.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Denis

Post by Denis »

I voted yes, but the forum ate my post...

In brief, I wanted to say that, thanks to CC's generosity and the hard work of all the moderators, this forum is (a) great fun and (b) a great resource. If an occasional financial contribution helps to make it even better, and helps avoids taxing CC's personal resources, I'll be hitting the tip jar as and when I can.
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

Another way you guys can contribute to this project would be sending ammunition that you would like tested or compared. It may not be lab quality results, but finding out that your beloved hollow point is anything but lethal after passing through a sheet of glass would be beneficial to say the least.

also, tips on where to get gobs of milk jugs (drinking water bottling facility perhaps) or other bullet catchers would be appreciated.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

You can't always get good ice cream if you expect it to be free all the time, right? Besides, if the Box O'Truth is a decently-repeatable testing setup, two can't be a bad thing!

Besides, I'm going to make it to the next shooting fiesta if it happens. Hell, high water, whichever.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

FastRope71 wrote:also, tips on where to get gobs of milk jugs (drinking water bottling facility perhaps) or other bullet catchers would be appreciated.
http://www.thecarycompany.com/container ... ttles.html

Or dig them out of the neighbor's recycling bins on trash day?

Or ask friends/family/neighbors to save them up for a "crafts project for the kids" :)