W.E.C.S.O.G. - Mag Compatability 101:group excercise

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: W.E.C.S.O.G. - Mag Compatability 101:group excercise

Post by Combat Controller »

Timo wrote:Ruger is selling 20 rounders for the mini 30 , I have 2 of them.
Finally! I gave up and sold the rifle two years ago, I figured they would never make a mag for them.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Beretta 92x and Taurus Pt99XX mags will interchange...

IIRC, the taurus mags will work in the Beretta without mods, the inverse requires enlarging the mag-catch hole (LEFT OR RIGHT depending on how you've installed your mag-catch, both to ensure 100% compatibility and preserve reversing functionality) in the mags. I've considered trying to switch the mag-catches to see if they will fit - if so this would be the optimal change...
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I have a number of WECSOGed magazines for various guns, e.g. a Galil .308 magazine made from an M14 magazine.

They range from "work 90% of the time" to "work sometimes". I've decided that anything that works less than 99.9% of the time doesn't work for me.

PM me if you are interested, & I will try to come up with a list (may take awhile, as they are stashed in a number of places) & prices (they will be very good prices -- I don't have time to sit an an ELGS, but dealers have only offered me scrap metal value).
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I agree about the 100% function for a good to go gun. I think that some plinkers can benefit from a little help though. I do trust my Beretta mags in the XD though, never a hitch.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
randy

Post by randy »

If nothing else, the 90% mags are good for range practice (i.e. random Immediate Action drills).

And for giving to Skippy the Red Shirt when he's out on point.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

D5CAV wrote:I have a number of WECSOGed magazines for various guns, e.g. a Galil .308 magazine made from an M14 magazine.
Would be interested in learning how you went about that conversion.
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

ButchS1066 wrote:
D5CAV wrote:I have a number of WECSOGed magazines for various guns, e.g. a Galil .308 magazine made from an M14 magazine.
Would be interested in learning how you went about that conversion.
I didn't do it. It came with a rifle I bought.

It looks like a true WECSOG job. A couple of metal tabs welded onto front & back with some obvious file marks. It fits into the Galil and it works (although it has more play than the Galil factory mags), but Galil .308 mags aren't that hard to come by, so it sits in a drawer.

One mag that is almost impossible to find are Valmet 76 and Valmet 78 .308 mags. Both are almost impossible to find. One of them is harder than the other, and I can't remember whether it's the 76 or 78, but that impossible version also fits the Valmet .308 Hunter (which I own). It is a beautifully machined rifle and a pleasure to shoot, but I can't get over the fact that a couple of magazines can bring more than the rifle!

I talked to some guys from Finland, and they told me that Valmet never made .308 mags. They used German G3 steel mags and modified them for both rifles. The modifications were done in a factory, however, with a couple of welded metal tabs and spacers.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Durham68 wrote:The gun shops around here always have old spare mags with no labels on them for dirt cheap. They all look the same and I can never figure out what they belong to. I am always tempted to see if I can get them to run in my hi-power. Good thread idea.
Durham, if you ever run across any Sigma 9mm mags in that heap pick some up for me, would you? If they were $10/ea, I'd buy prolly five more. DubJames might be in for some, too. Not any big deal, just if you ever happen to run into some well-used mags is all. Anyone else here prefer used mags over new? I know I do.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Not exactly a compatibility point, but as good G3 20 round aluminum mags can be had for under five bucks and the 5 round hunting mags go for $35+, it is petty easy to turn a 20 rounder into a five rounder. I just cut the bottom out of the mag at the appropriate distance from the bottom, following the same patter as the bottom of them, bend new tabs to slide the end piece over, cut the spring to matcha and viola, instant 5 round mag and savings of $30 per.

I've only done two of them, but they work like champs. I use them at the range a lot when I am doing bench shooting and also I want to have them in case I ever decide to use the G3 for hunting (which I haven't, but I might at some point).
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

workinwifdakids wrote: Durham, if you ever run across any Sigma 9mm mags in that heap pick some up for me, would you? If they were $10/ea, I'd buy prolly five more. DubJames might be in for some, too. Not any big deal, just if you ever happen to run into some well-used mags is all. Anyone else here prefer used mags over new? I know I do.
I just looked them up to see what they look like. Can't miss one of those, can you? So much for magazine compatability.
I'll be sure to keep an eye out. Do you guys need 10 rounders or can you legally own 16 rounders?
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"