BIT: Making a K31 bolt

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Fill

BIT: Making a K31 bolt

Post by Fill »

I have a couple barreled k31 actions that I want to build. I also have a machinist friend who could make exact copies of one of the 6 other bolts that I possess.

If he doesn't charge me for the parts, and I don't sell the parts, is it illegal to make the parts?

And if I use a headspace gauge and a reference bolt, can I set the headspace by adjusting the thickness of the bolt's face?
HTRN

Re: BIT: Making a K31 bolt

Post by HTRN »

It's a non serialized part. No Type 7 FFL required. He could take dimensions, start manufacturing and sell them.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Fill

Post by Fill »

HTRN wrote:It's a non serialized part. No Type 7 FFL required. He could take dimensions, start manufacturing and sell them.

HTRN
I thought I might run afoul of some patent or licensing laws.
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:It's a non serialized part. No Type 7 FFL required. He could take dimensions, start manufacturing and sell them.HTRN
? All my bolts have serial numbers on them. I know that Swiss military armourers were issued with replacement unnumbered bolt kits for trial and fitting purposes, but they electropencilled a number onto the bolts once they were mated to a particular receiver.

Do you mean that in the US, there is no legal requirement to number rifle bolts?

Fill, you might find it hard to get a 7.5x55 headspace gauge. I think you would have to get one specially made from drawings. I might have those somewhere... Since you can't simply rotate the K31 barrel to adjust headspace (because of the cam cutouts), I suppose adjusting the bolt head is the way to do it. IIRC, the 1889 and 1911 bolts had removable head-pieces for that reason.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I think what he means it is that a bolt is not a serialized part according to the ATF and therefore not a gun. So one can crank out as many as they want with no FFL.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Bolts usually have the last three digits electropenciled on so they can be matched to the correct rifle in case they get mixed up.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:Do you mean that in the US, there is no legal requirement to number rifle bolts?
Nope.
Denis wrote:Fill, you might find it hard to get a 7.5x55 headspace gauge.
PTG, Clymer, JG can all make them. It won't be a regular part number though.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt